Grouse hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by daniel harris, Dec 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. PCoGrousehunter

PCoGrousehunter Spike

Jan 21, 2008
    Butler Kentucky
    This is sad. Ten years ago or less, this thread about Kentucky grouse hunting was around ten pages. This year just one. Makes sense though-- no grouse, then no grouse hunters.

2. daniel harris

daniel harris Fawn

Oct 30, 2019
    London ky
    Yea it is very sad we need numbers to get the state to lesson and get progress on management

3. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    2 weeks ago hunted 2 times moved 5 birds, last week only got out once and moved 3. All below 1200'.

4. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    My son killed one today. Only bird they saw all day. And only grouse Ive heard of being killed in last two years in my area. Nice big old male black ruffed bird. Had only about 25% of a tail of its original number of long tail feathers , and a half grown three inch long set on each side of the five remaining long feathers. Likely a coyote or bobcat got the rest of the feathers, or they froze to a limb and pulled out . Anyway, I wouldn't have bet a nickel he would have found even a single bird this year.

5. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Spike

Feb 2, 2017
    This has been my toughest upland bird season ever. I hunt on the average of 3-4 times per week. I have lived on google maps checking out new cover continually. The coveys of quail I hunt have just about vanished even with great cover. Most days my grouse flushes have been zero and even when I find them it is hard to duplicate a flush a couple of weeks later. I am not a turkey hunter but I have documented a serious decline in numbers for several years. Through the Kentucky River Ruffed Grouse Society we have convinced the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife to work with us on an upland summit this summer on August 8. We have included Quail Forever, RGS, Ky Grouse Hunters Assoc,Back Country Hunters and Angler, Wild Turkey Federation, and the League of Ky Sportsmen to join us in this effort. We will be looking at different ideas and will involve folks from other states that have tried new ideas in this process.
    In my talks with others it seems they have experienced some of the same problems I have experienced. I corresponded with Frank Jezioro, who used to lead the West Virginia Fish an Wildlife Dept and now writes for Pointing Dog Journal and he said West Virginia, even in the high country is starting to experience the same problems. My best grouse day this year has been 3 flushes and my best quail experience was in western Ky where I had six covey flushes. This is a far cry from when I used to have 10-20 grouse flushes and 6-8 coveys of birds a day. Back then I saw no need to leave my easy chair in the evening to go north.
    I will get more details on the summit out as soon as possible and if you have suggestions for topics you would like to see covered pleas let us know.

daniel harris likes this.
  6. Eastkybestky

Eastkybestky Fawn

Feb 19, 2020
    out east
    I dont hunt grouse, but their numbers seem to be really thin. with all the time i spend in the woods and hills I have only ever seen 2 grouse. in my whole life.

7. daniel harris

daniel harris Fawn

Oct 30, 2019
    London ky
    Thank you for the effort upland hunting definitely needs all the help it can get in Kentucky rabbit numbers are dropping to hopefully we can get things turned around for the future hunters to enjoy

HCDH66 likes this.
  8. PCoGrousehunter

PCoGrousehunter Spike

Jan 21, 2008
    Butler Kentucky

9. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    First time in a long time that I can say it is the last day of grouse season and I have already unloaded my dog box, haven't hunted in over a month, and am not hunting today.

10. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Spike

Feb 2, 2017
    Like I said it has been a long season and I almost did not go out today but I am glad I did. We hunted quite a bit of new country as we have all season and we have located some beautiful hollows to hunt if the Good Lord shines on the grouse population. But today we moved three grouse and around 5 woodcock. My young dog Rayna had some great points and I took some great pictures. With mixed emotions I harvested one grouse over her and my other dog Red's point. I have been practicing catch and release mostly over the last2-3 years but have not seen results where I left birds so today I harvested my second of the year as the first was way back almost to opening day. As I said it was with mixed emotions but it felt right to harvest a bird over this young dogs point. It was an older male bird. One of the topics we hope to cover in the Upland Summit is trying a stocking of California Valley Quail on some strip mine sites. They have been successfully relocated to several states and other countries. I watched Scott Linden's Wingshooting tonight and they were in Oregon after these birds and if you were watching the terrain could have easily been an eastern Kentucky strip mine.

bondhu and BirdBuster like this.
  11. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I didn't even think about the woodcock moving back through, that alone would have made it worth getting out and letting the dog get some points in.

12. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I jumped a woodcock yesterday shed hunting.

13. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Too many coyotes in E KY, they keep everything in check. Need to get out and kill some coyotes! BIL went 4 wheelin' today and saw a grouse somewhere in Dry Creek.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020