Grouse hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by daniel harris, Dec 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. daniel harris

daniel harris Fawn

Oct 30, 2019
    London ky
    Has any one had any luck finding grouse this year

2. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I've only been out twice grouse hunting, moved 1 bird high upon the hill.

daniel harris likes this.
  3. daniel harris

daniel harris Fawn

Oct 30, 2019
    London ky
    That’s what I have been hearing that to find brides need to go to 1400 feet and above I have moved two this year while woodcock hunting haven’t had a chance to hit the mountains yet but I’m hoping I will find some

4. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    If you moved two different birds that is good, I have been having a lot of trouble finding birds that last couple years. You may find when you hit the mountains that there may be nothing there. Hope you the best of luck, there is nothing better than finding a covey of grouse and chasing them after you bust them up the first time.

5. daniel harris

daniel harris Fawn

Oct 30, 2019
    London ky
    Yea I guess I’ll just put boots on the ground and see what I can get up

6. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I'm gonna go tomorrow and hunt a few spots, see if they produce anything. My situation is my old spots no longer have birds, and I can't find new ones that do. I have been using google maps some and hunting what I can, at least I got some dog work during woodcock season and up north. I'm gonna hunt a spot tomorrow where I jumped one last year and another spot that I heard one drumming while shrooming. If I have time I may explore a spot or two that i haven't hunting in years.

daniel harris likes this.
  7. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Good luck guys. I just don’t have much optimism for the future of KY grouse hunting.

I’m just hoping to keep my health another couple of years until I can retire up north and hunt a whole season in WI.

8. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    A whole season up there would be amazing, I need the exercise more than anything keeps me going here.

9. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Understood ... I’m looking forward to June/July thru November with helping my partner bait bear till early September and getting GPS coordinates on grouse broods seen to follow up once grouse season starts.

10. daniel harris

daniel harris Fawn

Oct 30, 2019
    London ky
    Try hunt on x map it’s really nice and you can download a area and run it off line on you’re smartphone with gps tracking it will show you a detailed map of where you area love it very handy

11. daniel harris

daniel harris Fawn

Oct 30, 2019
    London ky
    I have to have hope for ky grouse I can’t afford to go north and I’m to stubborn to quit I’m just getting in to it to so I haven’t been spoiled by any good grouse numbers I’m still young so maybe a few extra miles will pay off for me

12. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
  13. daniel harris

daniel harris Fawn

Oct 30, 2019
    London ky
    Yea I have had good luck with it never had any problems

14. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    I know I’m in WVA , but we have good numbers on my lease , we jumped 7 rabbit hunting last week and Our bird hunter has had great luck so far

15. daniel harris

daniel harris Fawn

Oct 30, 2019
    London ky
    That’s awesome I hope the state will do there job and get the population back up on grouse woodcock and rabbit