Grouse Hunters

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Birdman, Jun 21, 2009.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Hope your second week pans out. The wheels are coming off of RW's
    program here at the last minute. Molly has come down with a bad case of ear mites, and Cindi has come down with a bad case of 'that lovin' feeling,' if you know what I mean. His big male and the big male of Fugate's don't get along at all, so it looks like he's taking a dog with big swolled up ears, a bitch in heat, and two males that fight all the time anyway, and with a bitch in heat in the truck next to them, well, let's just say I believe I'd leave the whole bunch at home and just take my chances with little 5 mo old Ruby!

He can get Molly's ears cleared up in a couple days, but he doesn't know if he should leave Cindi at home or take her and try to work it out. I told him to call the vet and see if they can give her a quick shot of hormones to turn off her cycle; she's spotting right now so it might be too late for that.

2. battle

battle 6 pointer

Jun 17, 2005
    Myself and a friend are heading out early Friday morning. Another friend and his friend are leaving a few hours behind us.
    This will be our first trip to Wisconsin. We are staying in Phillips. Anyone have any advise for us? Any good spots from you guys back already? Any particular area we should focus on?
    Thanks and perhaps we'll see a few Kentuckians up there!

3. WBall

WBall Spike

Nov 16, 2008
    lexington,ky
    were leaving saturday were going a little futher north up to ashland county, hopfully a little less crowed but you will find no prblem finding good hunting out of phillps. get a forset map, check out county road w. good luck.

4. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Rain up there all day today, with some chances of snow beginning Friday extending through Sunday and Monday. Sounds like the leaves will be dropping very soon.

5. KY Grouse Hunter

KY Grouse Hunter 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Heading out saturday mornning. Looks like we might hit the leaves just right this year. Gotta leave the best female I got because of that "Love Feeling". All males, all young dogs, lots of hair pulling and breaking dumb young dogs, gotta love it.

6. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I guess I'll just pine away while all you boys are up North. I'll be up there next year but that is small consolation when this season is the peak season.

It makes me feel a little better to know I have 2 grouse drumming on the ridge right behind my house. The pup will at least get to see a little action this season.

7. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    We're leaving Friday morning, looking forward to lots of flushes....

8. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    We're leaving Friday morning, looking forward to lots of flushes....

What area?

9. PENCO GSP

PENCO GSP Fawn

Jan 5, 2009
    That time

Hate to see some one not take a dog just because of that certain time. I always found when coon hunting a can of vicks vapor rub tends to do the trick with the male problem. Always kept a jar in the dogs box. Has to vicks but they seem to not like the smell.

10. KY Grouse Hunter

KY Grouse Hunter 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    ive done that before and i find sometimes it works, and sometimes you end up with pups.

11. grousebuster

grousebuster 6 pointer

Nov 28, 2005
    end up with pups...and the male dog crawling across the ground on his belly.:D hot...hot...hot...

12. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I just got a staticky cell phone call from Jon Dunn up in Wisconsin...apparently his young dog had the big light bulb come on this morning. She'd been pointing and relocating and flushing birds, but today he says she looks like a different dog...intense, steady, and is locking down the birds. He has had some excellent dog work but hasn't fired a shot this morning because of the heavy cover and low flushes. His dog is doing her job, so if he does his, he'll have some loose feathers on his clothes this evening.

I hate to steal his thunder by posting his news, but the sound of that dog beeper in the background just about made me go crazy. He's got a top notch dog, but the bird numbers around here were so low the last 2 years she couldn't develop the way she should have. I'm happy for Jon; I hope it all comes together this week for him.

Oh, to be in the Northwoods in October, where the mornings are crisp, the maples are brilliant, the birds are plentiful, the land is rugged, and the women are, well..., ruggeder. (sigh.)

13. Mtdrummer

Mtdrummer Spike

Jun 30, 2008
    Paintsville, KY
    Snow in the UP

There is a forecast of snow for Fri. and Sat. in Wetmore MI. Hopefully the cold temps. and percipitation will knock down some of the cover.

14. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Mr. Dunn,
    If you log on, this is to confirm that your slot is open on Friday the 9th, and you will have the next week to hunt in Chequamegon on the west side.

They'll call you when they are about 2 hours out of Tomahawk, and if you can get over there and get dropped off, they'll pick you up to go on North. Should be about 4:00 or 5:00 pm Friday afternoon.

RW has your number and will be in touch with you from the road that day. Better make sure that dog gets some rest each day and if you bought the 5 day pass, better plan on buying another one. They sell them at the place you will be staying. Drink a Lienie's Honey Wheat for me.

I love it when a plan comes together.

TM

15. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I once heard an old wise fart say if they could find a pretty woman an a help wanted sign up here they would just stay, so with that being said I'm headed out west a little more for another week to try to find it. BEAUTIFUL up here. Between 4 hunters we heard 223 flushes. Dog has went through some streaks this week, but she is startin to act like a pro. Not relocating as much, staying steady, and bringing birds back to the hand. I knew she had it in her. Its up to her now to keep it up. One more week is what she needs, so she's goin to get it. Trust Me, check RW's cooler when we get back, you'll have a surprise in there.