Grouse Foods

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Birdman, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    If you guys are willing, lets follow what grouse eat at different times of the year. If you can remember what the grouse you have already killed had in their craw and the date you took them, post that. Or start now and check each craw as well as the habitat you flushed them from. This way we should be able to locate areas and food sources. I'll bet you on many occasions the birds will have one type of food in their craw and you'll flush them in a different cover. Who's in?

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I'm willing, but probably won't contribute a lot of info. I just like to hear them fly.

Nov. 3- 1 bird full of grapes, flushed from a low beech thicket and treetop.

Nov 22- 1 bird full of grapes, flushed from a hemlock stand down low next to a grapevine thicket

3. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    We should include approximate time of flush or kill. Is there anything else we need to include? Maybe approximate location of food source to location of flush. Heck this could get interesting. Even if we don't kill a bird, the type of cover will be interesting.

4. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    I'm listing this for a friend.

Dec. 6th. Sunday, cold, flew 5 killed 1. All birds came out of trees. Craw was full of greens, strawberry leaves, mountain lettuce. Had points on four of the birds.

5. mnmthunting

mnmthunting Spike

Dec 26, 2007
    Thorn apples, do you guys have thorn apples down there? Or wild high bush cranberries. This time of the year with the snow cover the grouse up here will be feeding on these fruits plus Aspen buds and other deciduous tree buds.

6. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    No cranberries, no aspens. Thorn apples are few and far between.

7. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Thornapple, yes, in some areas. Wild high bush cranberries, not as far as I know. Where's up here?

8. KY Fowl Hunter

KY Fowl Hunter Fawn

Dec 28, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Birdman,

I've been a past member of the KY Grouse Hunter's Assn. I could always find a web address for them with a physical address in Paintsville to send my dues. Do you have a mailing address/dues amount for them or any KY Grouse club? Thanks

9. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    All the birds I have killed this year have had the same thing in them:
    Greens---> Fern tips and other green forbs
    Greenbrier Berries

The striking thing is the amount of food each harvested bird has had in their crops, packed to almost the point of bursting.

That's it, I have yet to see the first grapes, and only a handful of Autumn Olives, no beech nuts, and zero acorns anywhere that I have hunted.

10. mnmthunting

mnmthunting Spike

Dec 26, 2007
    Oh yeah I'm a long ways from you guys. Sounds like Ruffs everywhere like the berries available.
    I'm in North Central Minnesota.
    We have had some very good ruff hunting in the past. Last decade or so, not nearly the birds.
    Very cold up here now, hope to get out a few more times.
    I expect about 2-3 birds flush per 2 hours hunting, maybe 1-2 birds in the bag per outing.

11. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    How close to Lake Winnie?

12. grousehunter ky

grousehunter ky 6 pointer

Jan 11, 2008
    London, KY
    The grouse we took this weekend were almost exclusively eating autumn olives. Few of the bushes were still holding berries but most of the berries had already fallen on the ground. They all had crops full.

13. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Did you fly them out of the autumn olives?

14. mnmthunting

mnmthunting Spike

Dec 26, 2007
    Birdman, about 75 miles North. It warmed up to +10 today for a high:) Tomorrow maybe take a hike, see what I can flush.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  15. grousehunter ky

grousehunter ky 6 pointer

Jan 11, 2008
    London, KY
    We put up all the birds in autumn olives or just into the thicker stuff close to the bushes.

Russ