Grouse Drumming

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by hitch, Apr 18, 2015.

1. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Just curious to see if anyone is hearing birds during turkey season.

I hunted this morning in a place that 2 years ago was full of drumming birds, never heard the first one this morning sadly. Habitat is plentiful but the birds seem to be gone

2. gregcincy

gregcincy 6 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    Cincinnati
    I run one of the 5 mile survey routes that the Ohio Dept of Natural Resources does every spring through out the state to monitor grouse and turkey populations. My route I run is just right across the river from Vanceburg KY. This weekend on my route I heard 4 different grouse drumming with a total of 10 drums. We make 10 stops on the 5 mile stretch of road and we are allowed to count any drumming or gobbles we hear during a 4 minute listening period at each stop. This is my third year doing this and this was my most successful survey I've had so far.

3. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I haven't heard any drumming but I did flush a grouse Saturday. Nice big bird with the red band in the tail and red ruff.

4. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Finally heard a couple last week, think it was 2 different birds. Every other place I've heard nothing.

5. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Heard one drumming Saturday while shrooming.

6. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I turkey hunted one of my grouse holes, got within 20 yards of a drummer but flushed him. Rats.

Hard to turkey hunt and be quiet in grouse cover, breaking twigs with every step.

7. grouse408

grouse408 Fawn

Mar 27, 2011
    Salyersville,KY
    heard one Saturday while turkey hunting

8. agr_hunter

agr_hunter 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Over the Hill
    Heard one opening weekend in Rowan County. Hadn't heard or seen a bird in this spot in years.

9. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Only heard one thru the entire turkey season. Did flush a covey of quail. Glad to see that they pulled thru the hard winter.