Grouse Cycle

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by bonasa umbellus, Dec 5, 2002.

1. <font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Just wondering if the GROUSE CYCLE is up or down this year. I have only been out once this year and flushed eight birds in four hours with two reflushes. Is anyone else seeing alot of birds??? Thanks </font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red">

2. grousegunner

grousegunner 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2002
    nicholasville, ky.
    I've been 3 trips & jumped 7 birds with one in the bag. I'm not seeing neer the birds I did last year. to much rain this past spring.

3. Pointer

Pointer Fawn

Dec 6, 2002
    Winchester, KY, USA.
    I hunted the Friday after Thanksgiving in Owsley county, move 5 birds and killed three. Hunted on Saturday in Menifee county, moved 5 birds and killed one. I'm seeing more birds than normal.

4. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    In this area the birds had the best hatch in 6 years. The study on Yatesville lake showed the same results. Birds are up high, this cold spell and the lack of mash this year will drive the birds down in the hollows.

GOOD HUNTING TO ALL

5. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    You guys finding any grouse????

6. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Took two yesterday, flushed one more. We took 11 in from the two day hunt. Rolly and Ron Dampier hunted along with Claude Jacobs, they failed to score. Jerry Holbrooks and Wesley Watson won the hunt with four birds. You and these other grouse hunters should get in on this. Our next club hunt will be in two weeks, if your interested give me a call.

7. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    I'll call you this weekend

8. Highbow

Highbow Cyber-Hunter

Dec 16, 2001
    Johnson County, Ky.
    GSP, show em what those big spotted hounds can do.

9. handgunner

handgunner Cyber-Hunter

Nov 13, 2002
    Lexington, Ky, USA.
    Didn't get any birds, but had a great time. Ron

10. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Glad you had a good time there Handgunner, sorry you didn't have any dogs to hunt over. You can tell him I said that too![:D]

11. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    You bring those things up here and we'll see about that.[B)][:(!][:D]

12. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    I know who's dogs he hunted behind.

13. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    I forgot the smily face sorry about that. Are you coming up for our next hunt?

We're trying to develop a means, so people can hunt in different areas of the state with out having to drive to Paintsville for check in. Got any ideals. You know that trust thing only goes so far, and first place is nothing, bragging rights.

14. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    I'll give you a call this weekend. I'm in Tenn now. I hunted my a$$ off Saturday and didn't move a bird. Hunted 5 farms in Morgan county where I have always moved birds.
    Rolly is trying to buy him self a GOOD dog right now. I'll keep you posted on it.

15. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    I've got three in lot.