Groundhog

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Bassline89, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Bassline89

Bassline89 Spike

Aug 7, 2018
    Lexington Ky
    So I recently learned that GroundHogs are considered a year long game species here in Kentucky. That being said, I have determined that before I move I’d like to get one and eat it. Does anybody have any idea where I could find some groundhogs? Also I’m not sure if this belongs in small game or Varmint forum.

2. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Highway right away's and city limits is where is see the majority these days..or abandoned shelters. Pretty much away from coyotes "comfort zone" from what ive gathered. Goodluck

xbokilla and Bassline89 like this.
  3. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I would almost guarantee that every single barn in Cynthiana has a groundhog under it. At least everyone one of ours does. You’re probably have to wait till the weather warms up a little bit though I have not seen them out and about for a couple months.

EdLongshanks, Ataulbe1 and bearleft like this.
  4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I shot a groundhog last week. Came out from my barn. Hope to get a few more.

5. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I have to eat my words, no sooner then I posted on this thread I came up to another barn and saw one 20 feet out. boy oh boy if I could’ve got the 22 out truck window.

I personally would never eat one. They leave this intense musty odor in barns. You can tell when they’ve been in there recent And don’t think I could ever get over that smell trying to eat one.

But who knows they might be delicious and I’m sure somebody will post that they are

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Munson and barney like this.
  6. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Since living 10 years down here in Central Kentucky, I've only seen one Woodchuck on my property. Seen a few when driving to town though, within the city limits.

7. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I hate them. As in "Bill Murray vs gopher in Caddyshack" hate them. I've heard they're good barbecued, but never tried it myself.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  8. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I ate fried groundhogs when I was young. I thought is was pretty good, you fry anything in Hawg Lard it will be good.
    I'm sure Barney has a good Recipie for Groundhog in the Cooking and Eating section.

9. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Does Barney or pentail have a good ground hog recipe

10. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    I had one BBQ once and it wasn't bad at all. I swore I wasn't going to eat it but after trying it went for seconds.

11. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Pentail smoked one and it actually looked really good. I’d have to be hard up to eat it though.

12. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Grew up in Eastern Ky and they seemed to love Kudsu patches up there. Killed and eat a few young ones in my day. They will make a turd but not my favorite food.

13. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    My ex father in law ,would pepper good and bake in the oven,about all older people ,liked ground hog.Ground hog is probably about the cleanest, wild meat you could eat,don’t eat no rotted meat that I know of,just vegetation.

14. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I have never ate a groundhog but they can't smell any more rank than a rutting mature bucks tarsal glands, and I have ate plenty of venision. Cattle don't smell great either nor do hogs.

bearleft and muddhunter like this.