Ground Hogs

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by AllDodge, May 24, 2019.

1. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    I have holes all over/around the barn and under the house. I use a conibear 220 over the hole. Forget baiting them. It would be nice to have a way to keep them from coming. The fur just keeps piling up for me. One year I got 22 groundhogs and a number of skunks/possums.

2. AllDodge

AllDodge Fawn

May 20, 2019
    South Central, KY
    Least with traps you can set and forget, so long as no dogs or kids in the area.

Even in his vid, he doesn't know what to use to keep them from coming back. Long vid to just show what trap

Do think I got the last pup the other day, probably crawled back in the hole to die. Placed new loose stuff around and have seen nothing moved since, and have not seen another

3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I’ve seen GH posts before. If you folks are ever in Lexington just cruise and count them on the hillsides around town. I swear Lexington Ky has to be the groundhog Capital of Ky...maybe the world!

4. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    I shot 3 today with my 25 cal air rifle. All 3 brain shots , used only 3 pellets. They just laid down and twitched their tails for about 15 seconds Predator Poly Mag pellets, 30 yds.
    They are young and tender so I am going to try to cook them. They are soaking in the fridge.

barney likes this.
  5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    My ex father-in-law use to lay a lot of black pepper ,to his and roast in the oven, he fixed raccoon the same way

Carl likes this.
  6. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    I might try that. The meat is very tender (tears easily) , has no smell and has no fat. They have been eating out of a big patch of white clover. I thought about frying them like a rabbit, biscuits and groundhog gravy, baked beans and fried tatters. Yumm. :D:D:D

Brody, barney, 1wildcatfan and 2 others like this.
  7. AllDodge

AllDodge Fawn

May 20, 2019
    South Central, KY
    Wouldn't mind finding a way to cook them up and be tender. If they come out right would be interested to know.

8. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    I will let you know

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  9. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    My .17 hmr does pretty well on them.

1wildcatfan and Ataulbe1 like this.
  10. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Anything cooked in a crock pot comes out tender.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  11. AllDodge

AllDodge Fawn

May 20, 2019
    South Central, KY
    Wouldn't say that's always true, cooked my first GH in a crock for many hours, gave up after around 6, and it never did get tender. Maybe a pressure cooker

12. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    If you can see the hole, drop in some fist sized gravel (available at Lowes) intermixed with concrete mix...fill the hole full and then add water...

That or just buy a couple yards of concrete and pour it in...

I had this issue with a storage building...but living in the city, the 22 was a no go...I purchased a spring loaded Crossman Storm air rifle (0.177 cal pellet at 1200 ft/s) and sniped them from inside the house...open windows are dangerous windows...

NOTE: the air rifle is NOT 100% effective...basically the shot had to be pretty much perfect (like right through the ear canal)...ground hogs are tough critters...

Got fed up after shooting one old fellow multiple times with the air rifle and pulled out my crossbow...Excalibur Ibex at 305 ft/s with a 20" Gold Tip bolt and a 2" 2 blade Rage head...the groundhog made it about 15 yards...the Rage worked exactly as advertised and the blood trail was massive (even from a groundhog)...

13. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Raised in SE KY, ground hog was always nice table fare...
    Pressure cooker for about 3 hours is the way to go...
    Then salt, pepper, flour and fry in a cast iron skillet...
    Corn bread, fried potatoes, and lettuce and onions (with the left over grease as dressing)...

Carl, 1wildcatfan and AllDodge like this.
  14. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Carl, barney, 1wildcatfan and 4 others like this.
  15. AllDodge

AllDodge Fawn

May 20, 2019
    South Central, KY
    Another one of those pesky varmints. Watched him/her for about an hour, and it just kept looking around. When it did get down it went behind the house and then later came back to the same spot

G Hog 072619.jpg