Ground Hogs

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by AllDodge, May 24, 2019.

1. AllDodge

AllDodge Fawn

May 20, 2019
    South Central, KY
    About 2 weeks ago found out at our other house (not being used) had a family of GH under the decks. Only had one hole that was visible, so poured ammonia down it and that did nothing.

Got my Remington 552 and started sitting out in the truck a bit away, and over the next 4 days got all of them (Mom, Dad and 2 pups).

Only way to fill in the holes is to tear the decks up and don't want to do that. Have read that once they have been used as a nest, its only a matter of time before another one comes back.

What can be used to keep them away?

2. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I hate groundhogs. Tried several things to keep them away, but .22 is the only thing I've found that was effective.

barney and Genesis 27:3 like this.
  3. AllDodge

AllDodge Fawn

May 20, 2019
    South Central, KY
    That's is the guaranteed way for sure. Read the usual, fox hair, dog hair, pepper, and lime burns their feet. Guess if the house is more occupied it would be better, but just need some good ideas.

Will say, I liked waiting for them to show, then shooting them from distance. Last time I shot a GH has 20 sum years ago. It was the end of a deer hunting day and kept seeing him stick his head up. Was starting to get dark, and that was one pop it to many for him

4. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    You could try throwing some tom cat bait cubes down the hole, I've heard that will kill them if they eat it, I hate them with a passion

5. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    We've been very successful trapping them with the live capture traps. Only way I know to keep them from coming back is to have a good dog....

6. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    What do you bait with for ground hogs?

7. AllDodge

AllDodge Fawn

May 20, 2019
    South Central, KY
    The house is on 24 acres and were going to rent it out. There are no fences and most open fields. Maybe if more folks are around they might stay away.

I have a good live trap and could doo that, but then I would just bring the problem to someone else.

8. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Shoot it in the live trap

9. AllDodge

AllDodge Fawn

May 20, 2019
    South Central, KY
    Yep, that would work and not take as much waiting. It was fun though

10. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Plums and peaches work well for us.

11. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Good to know, thanks.

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Live catch em and sell them for mounts. Somebody on here was talking about taxidermists buying animals for mounts.

13. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    An apple cut in half or half a head of cabbage in a live trap works well. You might try moth balls down the den hole. That would at least keep skunks from moving in the vacant den.

14. AllDodge

AllDodge Fawn

May 20, 2019
    South Central, KY
    Hope they don't show back up. If the rental works out well enough, I'm going to tear the decks out and pour concrete

15. AllDodge

AllDodge Fawn

May 20, 2019
    South Central, KY
    Well guess there is more then 2 pups, saw some sign and sure enough there is another. I was setup for the front deck and it came out the back. Was in a twist when I pulled the trigger, so no good. Will try again tomorrow morning