grill vs griddle

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by bgkyarcher, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I cooked some ribeyes on my Blackstone and they came out great.

xbokilla and davers like this.
  2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Did you season the griddle before using it?

davers and Nock like this.
  3. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Yeah you need to season them and they also need to be cleaned before seasoning they come with some sort of anti rust coating on them for shipping

4. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Sure did. I am not used to the grill yet and probably had it turned up too high.

5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I think that you are correct. You had it turned up too high. I cook with mine on the lowest setting and so far have not burned anything

6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

I don’t own a griddle but this is what I’d be cooking on it. Breakfast!

RLWEBB and drakeshooter like this.
  7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I do like to cook on a little electric griddle inside. Anyone else do this? Always fire it up if I’m making pancakes.

8. dupont241

dupont241 6 pointer

Jun 1, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    Purchased a Recteq grill last year, purchased the griddle for it, best grill i have ever owned. The griddle options makes it great without being stuck with just the grill option. These pellet grills are second to none, can put on the meat, take off to the woods hunting and keep tabs on it with the app on my phone and have it done when I get back home and always perfect, never over or under cooked.

jblack1 and Tankt like this.
  9. GH1

GH1 Fawn

Mar 7, 2021
    Spencer County
    I have a Big Green Egg & a Blackstone 36" griddle. I like them both equally well; I just use them for different things.
    The Egg I use primarily as a smoker, although I will cook steaks, chops, & straps on it.
    For burgers, tacos, grilled vegetables, fish, fajitas, & stir fry I use the Blackstone.
    Different tools for different jobs.
    GH1

xbokilla likes this.
  10. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Hey folks didn’t want to start a whole new thread. I need to season my Blackstone adventure for the first time. It’s been sitting in my living room since Christmas and having hopes on using it tomorrow down on the creek. I have watched several YouTube videos of ppl using Crisco or vegetable oil or the special Blackstone brand. Use onions-don’t use onion Etc

I just figured I’d ask on here the ones that have done it. what did you use and how many times did you repeat the process?

11. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I ran bacon grease on mine. Keep wiping down and running it high. Turn off and wipe off again when cool

barney likes this.
  12. Wipe it down with canola or vegetable oil and try and wipe most of the oil off so there’s just a very light coat remaining. Turn burners on and let her rip til you see a little smoke, cool and repeat. After that it takes cooking and use. Cooking bacon seems to really pack the season on.

13. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I’ve enjoyed this post. Bought a pellet grill a couple months ago amd would like a griddle to compliment it. Glad this thread got started, has given me insight in to the different foods and ways to cook it on the griddle

RLWEBB likes this.
  14. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Fried rice is another great thing to make on the griddle. Smash burgers are magic on that thing.

15. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky