Green River L&D 5

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by smashdn, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Ignorant post. Plum ignorant.

Snareman2 likes this.
  2. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    Apples to oranges. When they took out the dam at Brownsville it dropped the river level at Nolin spillway nearly eight feet. After this one goes its gonna turn everything into a wading pool. Ruining the fishing to appease some yuppies in yaks makes no sense whatsoever.

Nock, Snareman2 and Meatstick like this.
  3. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Tree huggers on the water.

4. KYBluegill

KYBluegill 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2019
    Kentucky
    Are there many salmon in the green river?

CRFmxracer likes this.
  5. Brody

Brody 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    You can't fix stupid

6. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    I don't remember a public hearing or anything on this. The ramp across from bear creek above 5 will be useful only to kayaks and canoes.

7. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I don’t believe there was. That’s who they are trying to make happy.

8. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    Maybe we should pool our money and open an effing distillery around Roachville that required a minimum 8' navigable commercial channel maintained to provide transport of raw materials (oak staves & coal for several super-sized stills) and finished product. That would make some tree huggers asses burn from something besides their mrs strap-ons.....

Rod S., NOCAMST and Nock like this.
  9. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    I like kayaking. I also had no problem kayaking green in mcnp before they took out #6.

I never kayaked above 5 but I don't think the water has to be shallow for them to work. Now my aluminum boat on the other hand needs about 3 foot mininum to launch. I'm also kind of partial to adequate depth to run in.

There were some folks SUP's this morning on old hickory. Seemed to be doing fine.

I wish they would fix #4. They won't but you can go up Barren unless it is flooded out now. Even in a flood it is only about 12 foot max once you get past the first turn below greencastle.

For 4.6 million dollars you could build a kayak portage on every low head dam in the state.

drakeshooter, Snareman2 and Nock like this.
  10. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I’m not old enough but you can tell it once held back some water.

11. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    The Green River is so low right now, I wonder if you could get through Mammoth Cave NP in a kayak without rubbing. Motor boating that River from now on will be done Son.

12. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Salmon aside what are the pros and cons for ky specifically regarding the green river?

13. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Pros - mussels and darters get a lift, they are endangered, probably has better dissolved oxygen without dam above the dam, don't have to portage kayak/canoe around dam

Cons - Kills pretty darn good tailwater fishery, just a guess but it will drop the upper pool 8-15 foot, good catfish stretch above the dam, drops water out of a few sloughs and other places that flood fields when the water gets up, if it goes down like what happened above #6 the banks will all sluff in and there will be log jams and places you have to portage, you trade one portage for several potentially, if you want to access an area above or below a riffle you'll need to drag your boat through.

This is pretty much going to kill the ability to use a moderate sized jon boat up there.

I dont think either ramp there near bear creek will be usable for a medium sized boat. The ramp on the warren county side is a nice ramp where you could launch about any size boat you want there.

Snareman2 and Nock like this.
  14. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    We begged for years for a new ramp on the big sandy. Or to just fix the one in Prestonsburg. Just dip it out.That’s all…never could get anything done. Apparently the Big Sandy(which is a better fishing river than anyone realizes) wasn’t high traffic enough to bother with.
    When the kayak groups and tourism got involved, guess what??????? New ramp and quick too.
    I’m glad as heck and I like kayaking myself but it was a bit of a slap in the face

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  15. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    They have some pull.

KYBOY likes this.