Great squirrel migration..

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by clovis67, Jan 5, 2020.

1. clovis67

clovis67 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2008
    An old timer was talking squirrel hunting and mentioned seeing dozens of squirrels moving thru the woods in the Fall migrating to a different location.Has anybody seen or heard of this phenomenon before... very interesting to me, I have hunted for 40 yrs and never witnessed this myself.

Carl likes this.
  2. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Supposedly happened in 1968 when there was no mast at all. There was a thread in here about it the other day

Carl likes this.
  3. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I posted a article about it a few posts ago on here, i.never saw but read about it

4. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I believe this Squirrel migration is underway in my area of Kentucky. There are various good articles, which you can google.

5. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    I saw it. Hundreds and Hundreds of squirrels, probably more. The trees were full. They were traveling along a railroad track in Narrows, KY. I couldn't believe my eyes..I went home to get my gun, 3 miles away. When I got back, not a squirrel in sight. No one believed me. I would not believe this many squirrels could be in one place if I had not seen it.

6. clovis67

clovis67 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2008
    I myself would really appreciate seeing this in person.Can only dream about seeing a migration of squirrels scurrying thru the woods.I love to hunt squirrels and get much enjoyment out of taking a walk in the woods in search of the ol brushy tail.
    I get excited just seeing a lone squirrel..nothing like a good squirrel hunt.

7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    This migration would give a feist a nervous breakdown.

barney, Grago and Dark Cloud like this.
  8. clovis67

clovis67 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohhhhhhh Yeah! Never even thought about what effect a squirrel migration would have on a squirrel dog!That really could be a disaster....for the dog.Carl.. you are one lucky man..being able to witness this rare occasion

9. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    My stepdad says hes seen it. Squirrels in every tree and by the hundreds. Daid they was just traveling through and it liked to scared him to death. Him and his brothers ran and got their guns and shot a bunch of em. He said he was just a young lad then and hes 75 now