Great bowhunt Sunday

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by LoweBow, Feb 13, 2003.

1. LoweBow

LoweBow 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2003
    Shelby Co.
    Thought I'd share a great hunt I had Sunday.
    I came home Sat. night late from Florida vacation. After doing some chores around the house on Sun. morning I decided to go for a ride around the farm on my ATV. While going though one of the thickets I start seeing cattle tracks and soon find the source....It's a HUGE 2500#-3000# Bison Bull standing there looking at me. I ease out of the woods and head for the house. I read about a loose bison in the local paper a few weeks ago and it was reported to be following the creek that borders my farm. Anyone from Shelby Co. may have read about it also. I call the sherrif's dept. to find out what can be done. After a 2 hour wait I get a call back..."He's a nuisence animal w/ no owner and is FAIR GAME" ...Took me 1 minute to grab my bow and camo and head outside for a few practice shots. I headed out for the downwind side of the cedar thicket. I still hunted the thicket for 1-1/2 hours w/ no luck. plenty of tracks, but no buffalo. I entered a cleared bottom and the wend was swirling bad so I decided to back track and make another pass. I no more than took 6 steps, when a doe comes off the ridge above me and stops at 10 yards w/ my wind hitting her in the face, but she's lookin over her shoulder. Now things got hairy..Real hairy! The cedars start snappin and somethings coming at me quick. This beast comes down that ridge like a freight train straight at me. I'm knocking a shaft and at the same time trying to figure out where I'm gonna run. I have nowhere to run, I'm caught at the edge of the field w/ no trees to climb. He charges ahead and stops at 35 yards, pawing the ground, shaking his head and snorting...My heart is pounding, I must say. I stand my ground hoping he step into an opening...He doesn't ...The wind swirls, he snorts, and I see him running towards the front of my farm. I made a circle and tried to cut him off, but never found him. I cut his tracks in the fresh snow and forllowed them to a new hole he put in the neighbors fence when he plowed through it. What a great hunt!! This bull has been loose for about 6 months and is very wild. He was as fast and wiley as any deer I have ever hunted...Maybe I'll get lucky and get another shot, but it sounds like he is pretty nomadic as he has covered about 40 miles since first reported to the sherrif's dept.
    Mike

2. MrBowhunter

MrBowhunter 8 pointer

Dec 11, 2001
    Perryopolis, PA, USA.
    This guy has to be loose from Buffalo Crossing doesn't he? Mike, that is an excellent story!!!!!!!!Man, I would love to get into something like that. I can't believe you were told it was fair game. I also can't believe it took you a whole minute to get you bow and stuff together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) Let us all know if you come across him again!!!!!!!!!

Kenny

3. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    Wild Bull Buffalo and you grab a bow. Next time get your bowie knife. Heck man give me hollar I've got a 30-06 that would have taken him.

4. taggedout

taggedout 6 pointer

Dec 17, 2001
    ky, USA.
    WOW! That had to have made your day LowBow.

Grummybear

5. greenskeeter

greenskeeter Cyber-Hunter

Nov 3, 2002
    Bardstown, KY, USA.
    Think you can push him east on I-64? If he's headed this way, give me a shout!

6. LoweBow

LoweBow 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2003
    Shelby Co.
    He's already past I-64. He came from around Bagdad "Buffalo Crossing" area. My place is in Finchville. His next stop will be Taylorsville Lake WMA. That's where the creek heads to.
    Mike

7. RTC

RTC 6 pointer

Dec 31, 2002
    What a story! It's gonna be hard for anyone to top that one! Great hunt Lowebow!

8. Darton73

Darton73 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2001
    Hey Mike, I'll be keeping an eye out for him[:D]

Brian Grossman
    Darton73@alltel.net

9. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    And to think Im off Monday and was going to TVILLE. Guess I'll be carrying my 1911.

10. LoweBow

LoweBow 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2003
    Shelby Co.
    I don't know how much truth there is in the source, but a girl at my wife's work said there was a buffalo sited "in town" in Taylorsville today. That's a few miles down the road, but I wouldn't be suprised at all. A logging crew came in to my one neighbors property today, I'd say it was a one shot deal. Oh well.
    Brian, keep your eyes open.
    Mike

11. Darton73

Darton73 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2001
    Hey Mike, a guy stopped me at the Marathon in T-ville today and mentioned someone seeing the buffalo around town. I honestly didn't think much about it at the time, but I guess you never know!

Brian Grossman
    Darton73@alltel.net

12. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Turn him east boys, I'll have my .45-70 Harrington-Wession ready.

13. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    buff--buff--<i>TATANKA</i>[:D]... id check with a CO to make sure he's fair game or else you might bite off more than you can chew[xx(]

raktrakr
    &gt;&gt;-----&gt;

14. Xtreme

Xtreme Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    You are the only one I know that I could believe this happened to Mike. If you score a harvest on this brute please save me a steak[;)]

15. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    The man did the right thing....Forget the guns, grab that bow and do it the right way!

Matt Goetz
    &gt;&gt;-------&gt;