Gravity Feeders

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kywallace69, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    Take you barrel and go buy a 3in pvc toilet flange and 3 inch pipe for however high you want it and a 45° for the bottom. Put it all together for a fraction of the cost.

ky4giant likes this.
  2. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    Take you barrel and go buy a 3in pvc toilet flange and 3 inch pipe for however high you want it and a 45° for the bottom. Put it all together for a fraction of the cost.

3. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    So, you still still have problems with coons, even though you got a boss buck feeder? Dont they make shark teeth to keep them from climbing up the feeder? I have so many coons on the property I'm hunting it's ridiculous. I bet I got 2 state record coons on that property. I was going over pics yesterday and I had 22 coons at one time eating the corn I poured out. 100 lbs last 2 days if that. The deer don't even have a chance.

4. NWGAHUNTER

NWGAHUNTER 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2009
    GA
    Get yourself a plastic 55 gallon drum with a top that has the metal latch. Use a 1.5 inch hole saw and drill 3 holes around the bottom. Strap it to a tree and load it with 500# of corn

5. peaker

peaker Fawn

Aug 7, 2015
    I have 2 boss buck feeders and they are super nice but they will not keep the coons out. The shark teeth don't work and they climb over the funnels. I tried vaseline on the legs and they still made it to the corn. Deer will still walk right up and eat it though even with raccoons all around. The shark teeth might be able to work if you put them all the way around each leg and sharpen the teeth. The ones I got they were not that sharp out of the box and raccons still climbed up. Like Big Dave said earlier if you put corn in it as a gravity feeder the deer and raccoons will mow it down pretty quick. I think I'm going to switch mine over to spinner and hopefully they get used to the noise in couple weeks. Sounds like whatever you go with you need to thin out some raccoons once season opens.

6. dupont241

dupont241 6 pointer

Jun 1, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    http://www.quietfeeder.com/index.html

I built one using this timer controlled slide gate this year, been using it for couple months now. It stopped the coons from sitting and racking it all out like they do from my PVC feeders.
    IMG_5384.JPG

7. Chilly

Chilly 12 pointer

Until you kill or thin out the raccoons, you are going to have a problem. Here is a feeder I made out of a road tile. Holds 600lbs.
    FD1.jpg

8. dupont241

dupont241 6 pointer

Jun 1, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    No coon problems with this one, they can't get into the gate opening. All they get is what is on the ground, and I can only have it drop feed during daylight hours.

9. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    That is pure awesome. That looks like the trick and the coons don't eat it up cause it is on a timer and they can't get into the tube. This is slick.

10. Georgia Transplant

Georgia Transplant 10 pointer

May 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    It has been my experience with spin feeders to not attach the battery. The raccoons will spin it for you at night. This way it won't spook the bucks. Your corn will be gone soon enough.

11. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

they make 275# feeder that retails for $225. they also make a 660# unit. I've got several of them and like them a lot. Depending on the area it can take quite a while before mature bucks warm up to using them but once they do feed will last 2-3 times as long.

12. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    That's not a bad deal. I'll check it out, thanks for the info.