Grand canyon/ Yellowstone National Park/ Hoover Dam.

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Deer Hunter, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter 10 pointer

Dec 6, 2003
    Has anyone here ever been to one of these places ? I am thinking about taking my family to one of these destinations for a vacation.

2. retiredbowhunter

retiredbowhunter 8 pointer

Aug 23, 2006
    Grand Canyon last year around the youth season dates. We hung out on the South Rim of the GC. It snowed on us....one day did not get over 40 f. Far surpassed all my expectations. I would stay just outside the park...not near the entrance nearest the visitor's center, but the small town just outside the entrance just west of there.

Yellowstone/Grand Teton area....one of the best places you could ever go. In Yellowstone itself we stayed in the original one-bedroom "cabins" that had two light-bulbs and looked like it was made out of plywood. No TV, just a bedroom, bathroom, and a small desk. LOVED IT! AAA has all kinds of info on places inside/outside of the park to stay if you want better amenities. If you have a camper, might be worth pulling the camper and staying at the many campgrounds about the area.

Many attractions start their shut-down process immediately following the Labor Day weekend. Be mindful should you want to go horse-back riding, slow rafting, etc....

3. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Been to all 3 but I keep going back to Yellowstone whenever I can. 4 trips so far & would go again this summer if I could! It's got so much to offer: hiking, wildlife viewing, geysers, changing scenery almost every mile, and beatiful sunrises & sunsets. We started taking the kids when they were 2 and 4 and they love it as much as I do.

4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    doing Yellowstone this summer along with the rest of Wyoming and part of south Dakota.

did the Hoover, Grand Canyon (stay in Williams) and all of Arizona two years ago April, had just snowed. Montezumas castle was neat. sedona (pink jeep tours) was fun. Tuscon has a airplane boneyard and a desert zoo that's very cool. Karchners (?) Caverns is south of Tuscon that was really cool to see. went to Tombstone. Bisbee Az has a copper mine tour that's neat for the kids. ended up on the Mexico border. the best family trip we have had.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  5. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter 10 pointer

Dec 6, 2003
    Thanks everyone for all of the information. For me it is alot more helpful hearing from people who have been there than the searches you can do on the internet. Alot of things will not be mentioned in a internet search unless you are looking for thoes things specificly. It helps me to plan a better trip hearing from the information all of you have given me.

6. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    We took two weeks off and went to Yellowstone several years ago.... and would highly reccomend to anyone if you get a chance to go there or anywhere out west...you wont regret it.

It was a lot of driving but we saw a lot of country along the way. From home....we went across Missouri, Kansas, to Colorado. Spent a day at Colorado Springs (Royal Gorge)....then down to Sladina...back up across Independence Pass( continental devide)....on to Aspen. From there we headed toward Rock Springs, Wyoming....to Jackson Hole and the Tetons....then on to Yellowstone for a few days. We stayed in Cody...which they have a huge firearms museum and plenty to do...which is right at the edge / central portion of Yellowstone. Also went up & out of the park into Montana a ways.

In the park we fished..hiked... saw attractions like old faithfull...geyser basin....falls...ect... just beautiful country to enjoy....and lots of wildlife to see.....bears, moose, elk , buffalo, and bighorn sheep....saw them all.

On the way back...crossed the Big Horn mountain range....and in itself...Wyoming is a beautiful state....rolling green..... plenty of mule deer and pronghorn along the way. Then we hit South Dakota....Mount Rushmore...Deadwood......stayed in Sioux Falls one night then headed south...through Iowa... going through Council Bluffs ...and finally home.

The only one thing I suggest to anyone driving out.... take the northern route through Iowa & South Dakota. Just a more senic route..... and in my opinion.....that stretch on I-70 through Kansas is something I would'nt wish on anyone.....just a whole lot of nothing after you get some miles past Kansas City.