gps tracking collor

Discussion in 'Coon Hunting' started by styxvalleydan, Feb 18, 2009.

1. styxvalleydan

styxvalleydan Spike

Jun 15, 2008
    tried out one of those garmin gps tracking collars the other night. i though it was awsome saved a couple of dogs from crossing a state route down the way a bit. lost signal twice but it was restored in the next 5 sec satelite update. wanted to get everyones opinion on them. thinking about getting one.

2. kycooner

kycooner 8 pointer

May 2, 2007
    This will be the next peice of equipment I will buy,,I feel like I'm in the stone age with my old Beep Beep ,Tracker 1000

3. trader rob

trader rob 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2004
    ne ky..
    i have had mine for a couple months. i really like it. i never had any intrest in a regular tracking system, but i like this garmin.

4. All'Out'Blue Hounds

All'Out'Blue Hounds Fawn

Jan 26, 2009
    Fort Knox
    I own a garmin astro with two DC20 , If u get one do yourself a favor and get the DC30 because it tracks a hell-of a lot better than the DC20. I love mine, you will never again have to worry where you dogs are at, just look at the garmin and there they are. I also like the fact you can see how far you dog has ran that night, it's good when running pups.

5. bawlmouth

bawlmouth Fawn

Dec 26, 2007
    ive got one with 2 dc30s ,these are great it will save alot of dogs ,showed mine 30 yards from aa highway ,i drove around ,he was runnin up the side of the road,with the old trackers hed probably be dead ,its the best money i have spent ,it also shows your tracks in to the tree makeing it a heck of a lot easier to get out of big country you wont do that with beep beep

6. treed in ky

treed in ky Spike

Nov 12, 2008
    Flemingsburg,KY
    Gps

I use my ears as my gps:D Dad says when your young you should make good use of your ears.LOL they don't last forever.:p

7. kycooner

kycooner 8 pointer

May 2, 2007
    Before GPS ,,the senoir hunters would stay at the truck,,and honk the horn so you could find your way back to the truck.The way I feel most nites I'm about to become the horn honker now.

8. beards-n-bone

beards-n-bone 10 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Pulaski Co.
    Alot of guys still run their regular trackers on their hounds along with the garmin. This is because of the limited battery life of the GPS units (18 hrs I think)

9. All'Out'Blue Hounds

All'Out'Blue Hounds Fawn

Jan 26, 2009
    Fort Knox
    well I'm waiting on Fox Hollow Supply to get some more DC30 in and I'll be in business. Never had my battery run out on my DC20 YET? LOL LOL, an I have had mine for about a year now.

10. treed in ky

treed in ky Spike

Nov 12, 2008
    Flemingsburg,KY
    Gps

My curs don't tree loud either so I like hunting with Grandpa's redbone even though I like my curs better Big Red makes sure he is heard.:D

11. beards-n-bone

beards-n-bone 10 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Pulaski Co.
    From Garmin's website:
    When teamed up with the Astro™ 220, this system will have you hunting in no time. The DC 30, in combination with the Astro 220, pinpoints your dog’s position every 5 seconds and runs for 17 hours. You can extend the battery life of the DC 30 by changing the position transmit rate from 5 to 10 or 30 seconds, enabling the DC 30 to work up to 36 hours in the field on one charge. You will know if your dog is pointing, sitting, moving or treeing. Where it’s at. Where it’s been. How fast it’s moving and how far it’s gone.
    Guess it depends on how you have it set. I have learned from experience to be cautious when a company claims "up to" before describing the functionality of a product. Keep us posted on how it goes with the new collars I am dying to get one, just skeptical.

12. farmin_n_ky

farmin_n_ky Fawn

Oct 25, 2008
    South Central KY
    how much

how much does one of those garmin systems run you?

13. bawlmouth

bawlmouth Fawn

Dec 26, 2007
    i got a 220 with 2 collars for about 800.00 as far as the batterys go i use mine everynite for at least 4 drops a nite and dont charge it but every 3 days so it last plenty long enough for me

14. styxvalleydan

styxvalleydan Spike

Jun 15, 2008
    how bout under cover?

has anyone used their gps under heavy tree canopy i heard they lose signal alot .... i dont know but ive used mine to find my coonin buddies houses, to find my way out of the woods (matter of fact it pretty much saved my live the other night) and to obviously find my dogs.... but ive got a guy i hunt with who refused to buy one untill he sees it work in the spring and summer has anyone had anytrouble under the tree canopy?