Got my first dog with the new gun

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by DHull, Jan 9, 2008.

1. lonewolf

lonewolf 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2007
    Up a creek in Rowan Co.
  2. huntindawoods

huntindawoods 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2007
    congrats on the yote and nice gun

3. Rabbitdawg19

Rabbitdawg19 8 pointer

Jun 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    I noticed that as well. very big. My dad traps yotes in NY and it is not uncommon to trap dogs between 50-60+ pounds. You can darn near wear them as a fur coat when they are stretched. They look like timberwolves. I'll try to find some pics and post them on here.

4. drakeky

drakeky Fawn

Apr 11, 2008
    The way I look at it is this. I don't care if you are shooting .25" group with a 12 pound custom bolt gun or a .5" group with an AR. The coyote will never know the difference. He is dead. And to me I have the AR bug. I have 3 different configurations and all will shoot around the .5" group. One consistantly a little better than that with handloads. No they are no custom $3000 bolt gun. But .5" 5 shot groups at 100, what else do you need in a hunting rifle?

5. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    DHull,

That is a beautiful 'yote and a beautiful rifle.

I recently bought a new "Bushie" with the 20" chrome-molly barrel and can't wait to get it out to the woods. It's shooting about a half inch with a Burris XTR on top.

Just think how far ahead of the bolt action guys we're gonna' be when about a dozen of those slobberin' mad, blood crazed man eaters come chargin' over the hill. :eek: :D :D

6. etownhunter

etownhunter 12 pointer

Mar 21, 2004
    Central ky
    congrats on the yote with the AR! i shoot a colt AR 223. love the AR's!

7. digger658

digger658 6 pointer

Sep 10, 2008
    South of Salt River
    Nice yote!

Please stop calling his AR15 a "automatic" cause it ain't automatic. M16 are automatic. When I start shooting yotes that are .2 in size I may switch to a bolt gun but as long as they are .5 and bigger it's the AR platform. :D

What I find great about them in the field is the pistol grip. Seems I have better control of it for some reason.

8. steelslinger

steelslinger 10 pointer

Dec 29, 2003
    Union County, KY, USA.
    My AR 16" hvy bbl Armalite 5.56 flat top will do .5 MOA @ 2900fps all day long.

The old "semiauto not accurate" does not apply to the AR platform. Most will shoot right along or better than most factory bolt guns.

Mines accounted for 4 yotes and several ground hogs this year. On top of that, they are just plain fun to shoot.

9. Great yote! Even better story and a Stag Arms AR is on my wish list.