Got my first dog with the new gun

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by DHull, Jan 9, 2008.

1. DHull

DHull 6 pointer

Dec 25, 2004
    Mayslick
    i was doing rabbit distress, i like it without the mouth piece, i can control it like an open reed, and it requires alot less air.

2. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    my thinking with any rifle i have is that i like to see how good it will shoot... it's a hobby i guess, handloading and such.

i didn't realize ar's would shoot as well as people say they will..... that makes it of interest to me.

i've got to get some coyote mouth calls, i use a wester rivers predator call and it works well, also have a samll remote unit from remington that works well, but it's remote only works up to like 100 feet.

3. just downloaded a ton of western rivers sounds for my mp3 player for next week. Duck hunting thursday and friday morning and yote hunting the rest of the day:D

4. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    they're a good call..

have worked well for me

5. Buk Bust'r

Buk Bust'r 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2005
    Russell Springs, KY
    Oh really....beg to differ with you Scott. FACTORY M1A and imagine this.....it's an autoloader to boot!:D Only thing replaced on the rig was the stock and NM flash hider. Rest is "bone stock". Ammo was Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr. and group was shot at 100 yards from the bipod.....no bags!

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t58/dalaw756/DSC00164.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t58/dalaw756/DSC00162.jpg

6. Encore_Shooter

Encore_Shooter 6 pointer

Oct 19, 2005
    Fleming, Co.
    AR's

when hunting the accuracy don't mean as much as shooting at paper, take your most accurate gun that you shoot paper with and get into a normal fiels position that you use when hunting coyotes and also rember you wont have all day to pull the trigger (paper will hold still for as long as you want to wait but a predator won't (try firing a 5 shot group and limit yourself to about 20-30 seconds) I bet the AR guys that practice for follow up shots will win most of the time. I have more single shots than anything (TC Encore, several TC Contenders, 2 Cooper bolt singleshots, and probaly soon to add a AR to the list of non singleshots). they just make since to me for predators. Nelson

7. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    benchrest shooters are really good at shooting tight groups fast, if you've never been to one to see how they work they do this.

they set up their guns and are awarded a few minutes to shoot "sighters" at the target to get a feel for the wind and adjust their scopes... your goal is to shoot your last sighter at the end of the sight in period and have it close. then when the 5 shot clock that counts for the competition starts, you want to shoot those 5 shots as fast as you can and be accurate, the reason they do that is because they feel that they need to shoot those 5 shots in conditions as close to what they had when they shot their last sighter......

that was a good group with your ar!

but guys, i know and have stated 10 times i know you don't have to have that kind of accuracy, but an accurate rifle is of interest to me..

8. lkj118

lkj118 10 pointer

Nov 8, 2006
    nancy / somerset, ky
    nice yote. congrats!

9. DearDoctor

DearDoctor 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2007
    Newburgh, IN
    For some people black guns are fun. I have had one for three years and me and my two sons love it. We had a scope placed on it for Christmas and are looking to yote hunt in the next two weeks.

10. c100max

c100max 8 pointer

Nov 10, 2003
    fle-burg
    I think this was suppose to be a post where DHull prowdly shows off his coyote with his NEW toy that he got!! Great job and Awesome gun, Devon!! I haven't even shot mine yet.:eek: Tell your Dad hey and keep killin those yotes!! Call me sometime and we will go over to Dads place and see if we can get a few over there.

11. A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER

A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER 8 pointer

Dec 6, 2004
    Ditto on what he said. there's a modern firearms forum if you want to bicker accuracy between bolt guns & auto's. DHULL congrats on an awesome hunt. Your on a roll, hope you keep it rolling.

12. KYDEERCHASR

KYDEERCHASR 10 pointer

Aug 29, 2005
    marion county
    great job on the coyote. hope thats the first of many.

shoot whatever you like. it doesnt matter if its a bb gun as long as it works for you. if everyone liked the same thing it would be a boring world.

13. Rabbitdawg19

Rabbitdawg19 8 pointer

Jun 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    That is a big dog. BTW I'm a Buckeye and youre right, leave the N vs. S out of it and we can all get along...unless you dog my OSU Bucs:D!! LOL

14. k-9 krippler

k-9 krippler 6 pointer

Feb 17, 2007
    Eubank, KY.
    Congrats on the songdog buddy! Nice gun too! I would love to have one to yote hunt with! As far as accuracy goes they are plenty. May not hang with a bench gun, but last time I checked I can't take take my bench hunting!:( Twice a year I try to go to an informal benchrest match I guess you coul call it that. Factory class is at 200 yards, we shoot at eggs glued to golf tees stuck in a wooden frame. If you should get through all 10, then all the 10's go to a shoot off. Then it goes from eggs to paint balls!:eek: Lucky for me 8 is as far as my Ruger would ever let me go.:mad: Two years ago a guy brought his AR just for giggles, he let my buddy shoot it. He had never fired this gun before. He sat down and busted 6 out of 10 with a 16 power Nikon. Fact is ((some)) of those will shoot better than the vast majority of the people behind them can!:cool:

15. Metal

Metal Fawn

Apr 22, 2008
    Awesome Yote you got. Congrats on the Olympic Arms AR. A lot of people give olympic AR's a hard time but I bought one as a general truck gun because it was cheap and it has been able to out shoot my Bushmaster and Rock River (plus I dont get nervous when I toss it around as much since it wasnt as expensive):D.