Got my first dog with the new gun

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by DHull, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    Small minded? reading magazines? umm no...... i don't read magazines.. i shoot and shoot often.. thats all i meant by asking him how his gun shot.

I'm sure glad that he had more dignity and enough sense to know when someone is trying to get smart with him and when their not.

2. samjoe

samjoe 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2004
    fisherville ky

Get smart?naw you wasnt' gettin smart.Just alot condecending.Much like a yankee.Since he is on the young side i thought i would point it out for him.Anytime someone says "i'm not nocking your rifle"your about to get your rifle knocked.

3. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

I am kind of the same mind as Scott7m, the black guns never appealed to me and I had always heard that an autoloader can not be as accurate as a bolt gun.

Until I bit the bullet and had a custom AR built for me, and this gun changed my mind. It can easily shoot sub moa with most ammunition and is much more fun to shoot. I'm just starting to reload for it so I bet I will see some .5 moa groups that are guaranteed from most custom bolt guns.

4. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    yeah i'd say you can get under .5".. but i'd say thats about it..... you'll never go to a benchrest contest and see someone using an ar though.

in the hunting conditions such as yotes on the run it would be nice to have.

5. Sand Gap Sniper

Sand Gap Sniper 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2006
    Sand Gap, KY
    Not to derail your argument here guys, but I have a question for DHull. You said that you were using the Ki-Yi without the mouth piece, were you using a pup distress, or just blowing a rabbit distress without the distress?

By the way, nice gun. :D

6. Hoot

Hoot 6 pointer

Mar 28, 2007
    Washington County
    Con grats on breaking in the AR! I'll should be getting my upper before next weekend and I will be joining the black rifle club. By the way, did the coyote ask you what kind of groups you were getting before he died?

7. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

I can't argue with you there, as I have never shot in a competition.

8. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    i don't want to argue...

if you want to see a cool website about benchrest guns/varmint guns..

go to 6mmbr.com

great site with a lot of useful information......

i'd say i'll to get an ar at some point, but i've never seen the appeal... but if they will shoot under 1/2 being an auto that is impressive enough to get me interested

9. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

I haven't been to that site in a while. But there are a couple of manufactorers that guarantee .5 or under moa in their ars. One being Les Baer and the guy that made mine advertises on several sites but I met him over on predatormasters.com Dtech was his login name.

But can't remember if he guarateed .5 or not.

10. Nice yote and sweet gun!! Hopefully I'll get my first done next week..its a pistol though

I saw on tv the other day guys shootin in a national competition with ars and iron sights shootin 4-6 in groups at 600 yards. They can shoot good.

11. Hoot

Hoot 6 pointer

Mar 28, 2007
    Washington County
    ARs come in more calibers than just the .223. They are also offered in 6.5mm, 7.62, 300 whisper, 300 WSSM. The AR10 base can be fitted with .243, 308 etc. As with any rifle you get what you pay for.

What pistol are you using killin?

12. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    definetly good for an automatic...... good for 9/10 bolt actions.. there is an article on 6mmbr.com about a guy who shot a 5 shot group at 600 yards that measure 0.800........ thats amazing that it's even humanly possible..

but 4-6 inch groups at that range is amazing for a hunting rifle..

that record 600 yard group was with a full benchrest gun, one you can't hardly hunt with

13. 0.800 groups with anything at 600 is amazing to me! The one I was talking about was I think the presidents cup or something? It was amazing some of the guys shooting...most of the ones in the final round were military guys. A army guy won it.

14. 223 7in barrel...hopefully it will be in in the next week...I'll post up some pics of the new gun when I get the upper in.

15. WhiteRubi

WhiteRubi 12 pointer

Apr 13, 2005
    Richmond
    Nice yote. Don't let anyone discourage you. I yote hunt with my AR also. It is certainly no varmint rig...it was built for speed. :D I built my dad one a few years back that shoots sub MOA with factory ammo and off the shelf parts.

Also, you certainly don't need to shoot .3" groups for yotes. And a 2 oz trigger has no place in the woods. My Sendero has a 2.5 lb trigger and I don't hunt with it much. :D Comparing benchrest guns to guns you varmint hunt with is apples and oranges. But what more can we expect...:rolleyes:

If you want to see an accurate semi-auto...
    http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn14-e.htm