Got my first dog with the new gun

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by DHull, Jan 9, 2008.

1. DHull

DHull 6 pointer

Dec 25, 2004
    Mayslick
    well today was my first trip out with my new ar. got my stuff together after school and headed for a peice of property i just recentley took my 1st called yote on. i got set up by a small section of woods and set out my mojo critter about 25 yards infront of me to the left. i hit my kiyi with the mouth piece off just like i recently did with my last dog. 4 short blows on the call later, here comes a blond little dot bouncing through the field. the shakey legs instantley set in, i pulled it together and calmed my nerves. when he got to the 200 yard mark he saw the decoy and kicked it into high gear, he was kicking up mud he was running so fast. right at the 45 yard mark he started downwind of the decoy to my right. when he was at about 15 yards i pulled up on him only to see a brown blob [​IMG] good one devin, i forgot to take the scope of 16x from when i was sighting in. i quickly turned to 4x and shot him running away, i hit him far back and he ran back towards me, i shot again only to miss ( i was all tore up haha ) then as he ran away for one last time, i put a round in him as he fell into a big hole in the middle of the field. to say the least, it was about as quick as a hunt could get, maybe a total of 50-60 seconds. Just like everybody tells me, the first is the hardest, well after i shot my first a few weeks ago every time out ive called or seen somthing.

[​IMG]

2. StaleyEMT

StaleyEMT 8 pointer

Jul 14, 2007
    Laurel Co.
    Nice yote man! Cool story too. What kinda gun is that?:)

3. DHull

DHull 6 pointer

Dec 25, 2004
    Mayslick
    olympic arms k-16 .223, shooting pretty good with hornady 55 grain v-max, got it topped with a nikon monarch 4-16

4. StaleyEMT

StaleyEMT 8 pointer

Jul 14, 2007
    Laurel Co.
    COOL!!!!!!! Good looking rig.:cool:

5. Jarhead

Jarhead 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2005
    Allen co. Ky.
    Nice gun and yote. Congrats.

6. johnnydog72

johnnydog72 Fawn

Jul 14, 2003
    East KY. AKA:crowsniper
    Tell me you dont hunt with that 30 rounder in it...

7. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    i don't understand the obsession with the ar's...... a good bolt action rifle will out shoot them with ease.

Not knocking your gun but it's just something as a gun collector that has never appealed to me, I don't know why.

Gotta love those nikon scopes! they're awesome

What kind of group can you shoot with that AR at 100?

8. DHull

DHull 6 pointer

Dec 25, 2004
    Mayslick
    dont know either haha, they just seem more comfortable and practical for the style hunting i do. as of now with the 55 grain v-max im getting inch to sub inch groups, it shoots better than i can. as for the nikon, i love it, the glass is really clear all the way up to 16.

9. DHull

DHull 6 pointer

Dec 25, 2004
    Mayslick
    yea, my 20 rnd mag needs a new follower.

10. TedB

TedB 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2005
    Nicholasville
    Good dog man! Congrats.

I didn't understand the obsession with ARs either when I was shooting the loose rattling things the Army gives you to shoot in basic, changed my mind once I got to my unit and got my own. I liked it so well I built one when I got out.

They'll shoot every bit of a pattern that a bolt gun will with the right bullets plus you get plenty of follow up shots. I've got a Remington .223 sitting in the safe right next to my AR and 9 times out of 10 I grab the black gun. I would guess he wouldn't have gotten back on this dog to kill it if he had had a bolt action. I know I've scored on some doubles that I would have missed if I hadn't had that second shot at the ready.

11. EKY.MTN.HUNTER

EKY.MTN.HUNTER 12 pointer

Jul 19, 2006
    Las Montanas
    Congrats man, seems like your getting the hang of it pretty good.

12. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    an automatic isn't going to shoot with a bolt action....

a factory gun isn't going to shoot with a custom..

we all "should" know that

We have one custom 22-250 with a 27" shilen barrel, glass bedded, 40X stock, blue printed 700 action, 2oz trigger, and it will shoot groups in the .2's with ease. 24X leupold on it

My savage bvss model 12 22-250 will shoot in the .3-.4 range.. it has an 8-32X Burris on top of it.

I can see where the automatic could be helpful at a running dog, but you'd be surpised how fast you can shoot a bolt action once you get used to it.

13. Ward

Ward 6 pointer

Dec 2, 2007
    Letcher County
    Good job

I dont know anything at all about those kind of guns.But it looks cool,and if you like it,thats all that matters.Looks like it gets the job done!!!;)

14. samjoe

samjoe 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2004
    fisherville ky
    We need more young men runnin home from school to hunt.As for your rifle,shoot wtf you want.Dont worry about some know it all who reads too many magazines bring you down.You bought and shot it cuz you liked it.And it certainly looks like you know how to use it.Small minded pinheads never appealed to me ,i dont know why.