got drawn for New Mexico mule deer hunt this fall

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by pentail, Jun 10, 2009.

1. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Looks like we might have gotten drawn for a new mexico mulie hunt this fall. Results not posted yet, but got the congrats email. we put in for a limited draw area, muzzleloader only, no in lines, no scopes, no pellets, no sabots:eek: Gonna have to break out the ol hawkin and buffalo bullets again. still gonna be hot in southern NM that time of year, will probably be hunting water holes. there are some fires in the area right now so there might be some good greening up on some edges by then.

2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Thats awsome how many years did it take to get drawn?

3. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Congrats Pentail. Sounds like a good trip. You hunting with your brother?

4. Colorado_Hunter

Colorado_Hunter 10 pointer

Nov 30, 2007
    Radcliff, Kentucky
    Maybe you will see one of them Orynx that they have in Southern New Mexico, last time I checked, they were out of control because they don't have a natural predator to keep them in check. Them suckers are just as big as a horse.

5. pentail

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Meador,

yea, he has the field office and the range cons keeping an eye on the deer in that unit already:D

riverboss,
    just one. My brother lives/works out there and checked out all the draw odds on the hunts. we picked the three with the best odds (the limited entry old school ML areas were the least applied for) and got lucky.

Colorado Hunter,

One of the field biologist in my brothers office got drawn for one and killed the 11th biggest Orynx currently on the books.

6. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

you lucky DAWG Good luck Buddy, congrats on getting to hunt with your Bro on his turf

7. CHL

CHL 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2008
    Central KY

Good for you Pentail! That's awesome. I hope you go out there and smoke an absolute monster mulie! Sounds like a good time.

I've been tryin' to get drawn in NM for an elk tag for the last couple of years, and next year I'm just suckin' it up and I think we're gonna pay for a landowner's tag and head on out.

8. pentail

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    talked to my brother last night. Looks like my sister in law got drawn for a cow elk rifle and mule deer buck rifle as well. Throw in coming back to KY for deer rifle season and they are gonna have a busy Oct./Nov.

9. CHL

CHL 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2008
    Central KY

When it rains, it pours! Good luck to the whole family.

10. tex

tex 8 pointer

Dec 22, 2003
    Lawrenceburg, Kentucky.
    We did not draw NM or CO. We did draw Montana. Waiting on the special draw to see if we drew Bull tags for our area.

What unit are you hunting? We have hunted 16, and 37 for deer, and also 52. My buddy killed a nice 3X3 in 37. Slim pickings in 16, and only small bucks in 52 ( which is kind of a migratory hunt). We put in for 2B and 5, and were unsuccessful. Good luck to you.

11. pentail

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Tex,

good luck on the bull tags, hope you draw. we are hunting unit 30

12. CHL

CHL 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2008
    Central KY

Hey Tex, where you headin' in Montana? I might be headin' up to an outfitter right outside of Bozeman. Good luck to ya.

13. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    Congrats Michael! Hope you get a monster buddy!

14. sounds like your gonna have lots of fun. Good luck getting the hawkins tuned in.

15. tex

tex 8 pointer

Dec 22, 2003
    Lawrenceburg, Kentucky.
    Going to eastern MT south of Malta near CMR and FT. Peck.