Got a tall 6 point yesterday

Sep 14, 2012
Yesterday morning I got a tall 6 point that I thought was an 8 but then again he was 250 yards away at 7:10 AM. He's an older buck right at his prime. I was in my ground blind and saw him come out into the field, I ranged him and he was right at 250 yards. I shot him with my 30-06 and he dropped on the shot. I watched him a couple minutes then took my time getting out of the blind and walking toward him. When I got there I discovered he was still alive and I didn't want him to have to suffer so I shot him right where the heart was suppose to be and then after 2 more minutes he was still there so I shot him again and finally it was over. I've never had to do that, one final shot but not two. He's a nice looking deer with tall long tines. Have not had a deer mounted lately and when we called and saw it was going to run around $550- $600 I'm thinking I will not mount this one.

Get a hold of Whitson's taxidermy in Falmouth. He's done 2 for me. Last one about 5 years ago was around $365. I will look for his number tonight.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Great deer wildcat! I really like big sixes for some reason.

As far as the taxedermy, there is a phenomenal guy in Carrollton ky that does great work and doesn't bust the bank. Is carrollton too far from you?

dmullins

6 pointer
Aug 3, 2006
Letcher County
It amazes me how much money some will spend on guns, bows, atv's and such for hunting, and then try to find the cheapest person to mount the trophy they take. As with anything, you pay for quality. If someone is happy with a $250 mount, that's all they are going to pay. I have raised my prices over the years as I have gotten better and I get more work every year. Some people will pay for quality and some will not. Just the way it is. Nice deer by the way!

EarlyBird1

8 pointer
Aug 4, 2014
SouthCentral KY
Congratulations! That is definitely a mature deer. I've had lots of pictures of big 6's like that in recent years and some of them were deer that I would have really liked to get a crack at. I never could get close to any of them.

As for the taxidermy part I will tell you that your chances of getting a mount of much quality for less than $400 are not very good. There are probably a couple guys here and there that do decent work for less than $400 but they are few and far between. Also be aware that many of them are cheaper because they do a half ass job on the hide and it will be dried out like a cracker in no time flat. However it is obvious from some of the comments and recommendations here that there is an extremely wide range of opinions on what looks good enough as far as a deer mount goes. If you don't care what it looks like then yes you can absolutely get a shoulder mount for $300.

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
Taxidermy for the most part is like a lot of things ... subjective by nature. Based on ones opinion..likes & dislikes.

Which no doubt there can be inferior workmanship. But there is also a balance to be had on acceptable quality and cost.

Which thinking back to the earlier years when I got married and started my family.... money was scarce to frivolously spend on mounts. Which I did have a few things mounted then but it was also an understanding that it was counted as my Christmas or birthday present so my wife wouldn't be compelled to spend even more money... that we didn't really have to burn. In turn I was tickled to death to have something to put on the wall.

Honstly can say ... wouldn't take anything for those times. Spent less than $200 on several mounts from deer heads to a flying turkey mount in the late 80's & early 90's. The quality was acceptable then and is now... still using the same taxidermist.

His prices have increased a little over time.. which as I stated earlier ...giving $330 this year... lol. Which no doubt I can afford more at this point in my life but don't feel the need. Just don't think I would ever give around $500 for a deer shoulder mount but not knocking anyone if their so inclined.

What matters is I'm happy with the quality .. and been happy for 30+ years now. The early ones look as good as the newer ones. Again quality is in the eye of the beholder and his budget. More expensive doesn't always equate better pending personal circumstances.

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
Yesterday morning I got a tall 6 point that I thought was an 8 but then again he was 250 yards away at 7:10 AM. He's an older buck right at his prime. I was in my ground blind and saw him come out into the field, I ranged him and he was right at 250 yards. I shot him with my 30-06 and he dropped on the shot. I watched him a couple minutes then took my time getting out of the blind and walking toward him. When I got there I discovered he was still alive and I didn't want him to have to suffer so I shot him right where the heart was suppose to be and then after 2 more minutes he was still there so I shot him again and finally it was over. I've never had to do that, one final shot but not two. He's a nice looking deer with tall long tines. Have not had a deer mounted lately and when we called and saw it was going to run around $550- $600 I'm thinking I will not mount this one.

Congratulations! Wildcat!! Nice Buck!