Goose...?

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by kipdynamite, Sep 9, 2007.

1. kipdynamite

kipdynamite 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2005
    Lexington
    Hey everyone, I am smoking some goose tonight and I love the way it tastes, but I would really like to hear about any other great ways to enjoy goose...

2. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    I have deep fried a whole Goose like a Turkey. It was different. Pretty rich to say the least. ;)

I still like mine smoked and served with Wild Rice. :D

3. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I think goose jerky is the best way to eat it. It doesnt have all the tendons and such that deer has and taste a lot like deer I think.

4. duckman26

duckman26 Spike

Oct 26, 2005
    Northern KY
    Goose

I like to soak the breast in Dales, then grill it and serve over rice. MMM good

5. nitrox28

nitrox28 Banned

Aug 4, 2003
    Lexington, ky, USA.
    You could soak a turd in Dales and it would taste great! :D

6. mwc

mwc 6 pointer

Dec 11, 2005
    Near Lexington
    Cut into finger size strips.

Marinade in Teriaki sause atleast one half of a day.

Wrap in bacon.

Glaze with apple butter and grill. (touch up the glaze while grilling)

7. boola

boola 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2005
    lexington
    goose

I like the dales method and grill the breast like a steak .

8. Dales is ok...Moores is my stuff!! And I don't think I would eat a turd no matter what it is soaked in...but if you want Nitro...I can reserve a spot for you at my buddies cookout with a special exception to the menu for you:eek::D. I'm going to have to try your reciepe Quacker!!!

9. kipdynamite

kipdynamite 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2005
    Lexington
    I appreciate it guys..Im leaving for PA soon for their early goose season(im runnin late) and you can shoot 8 a day. I went last year and took 12 in 3 mornings.

10. KYDUX

KYDUX 6 pointer

Aug 13, 2004
    Lexington, KY, USA.
    this is a nothing new or special recipe but it always goes over great especially to those who, "know they don't like goose."

Cut the breast into cubes across the grain.
    Marinade in teriyaki or Italian overnight
    wrap in 1/2 or piece of jalapeno with 1/2 slice of bacon stitch with tooth pick
    grill on BBQ.

serve, and to this date everyone that I have had try them likes them, except those adverse to spicy stuff.

11. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 10 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    Most guys I know take the breast and throw the legs away..they're missing out.

Make a brine...8 tablespoons salt, 4 tablespoons rosemary, and 2 tablespoons peppercorns or cracked pepper. Bring a little water to a slow boil with all ingredients added. Once salt is dissolved shut off heat, let cool and then add the cold water to make about 1 gallon (enough to cover legs). Your brine should be very salty but not acrid. Pour over the legs once the brine is at room temp. Put in the fridge for 24 to 48 hours.

Chop some celery, onion, and carrots in large pieces. Place with the goose legs in a large pan. Cover with red wine (port works great) and orange or apple juice. Cook in a 250 degree oven until meat is ready to fall off bone. Baste every hour or two. It might take 10 hours depending on how tough the bird is. You can cook this the day before and just reheat at a low temp the next day. Strain the wine and juice and reduce at a high heat. Mix some corn starch with water and add to the wine and juice to thicken the sauce. Add about 2 tablespoons of butter. Serve over risotto, rice or even mashed potatos (sweet potatos are great).

This brine is also very good on the goose breast. After marinating, wrap in bacon and smoke slowly.

12. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 10 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    Goose is also good fried. Slice breast about 3/4 inch thick then pound with a mallet until about 1/4 inch thick. Bread with flour and pan fry in butter just until browned. Salt and pepper as soon as it comes out of the pan. Make a milk or cream gravy in the pan. Fried eggs, biscuits, and hash browns, country fried goose...:D

13. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    Nice recipe. You can also add in some Heavy Cream after reducing the "wine & juice" then reduce further. ;)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  14. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    Also a good recipe. Serve with Wild Rice or Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes/ Sauteed Asparagus. Use the leftovers for Breakfast. ;)