Goose calls

nooge

6 pointer
Oct 28, 2008
Lexington, KY
I'm sure this question comes around every year ... I have been duck hunting the last 5 years and feel fairly comfortable using a duck call. I would like to try my hand at geese. At the end of season last year I bought a Knight & Hale at Wal-Mart for $10 and I don't know if I suck that bad or if a better call would make a difference or if it's a combination of the two. What call would you suggest for a newbie? I would rather not spend a lot of money starting out. Thanks in advance. Can't wait for season already!!!

mojcar

Fawn
Oct 23, 2008
I started with a poly flute call back in the day and it was very easy to blow correctly, but it was never very loud. I decided that I would change to a short reed call shortly after and bought several cheap calls that were alright, but I never felt I sounded worth a crap. I now have 2 goose calls, a Knight & Hale magnum goose that I bought in 1998 and a Foiles SMH. I would not trade either for anything. There are alot of calls that can be had for cheap, but I never knew what they would sound like. My advice is that if you have been bit by the waterfowl bug and plan to keep doing this for many years to come, buy a good call and a instructional video and PRACTICE....PRACTICE....PRACTICE. You will not be disapointed. I could have bought my first good call with the money I waisted buying cheap ones........just my 2 cents. Good Luck!!!

Rob DeHaven

10 pointer
Apr 19, 2006
on the road
bay country calls. best i have used easy to blow. they all take practice but a good call does make it easier without a doubt. i do like the foiles smh.

FlydownCackler

6 pointer
Mar 5, 2009
Prestonsburg, KY
I am a newbie myself, but I am doing well with the goose call. I have started with the Primos Honky Tonk instructional pack. It obviously comes with the polycarb call, but it includes a really good instructional video. From there, I have moved on to a Grounds call which I love but there will still be room for the Honky Tonk on my lanyard this season. The instructional pack is around $35.
Regardless of what call you get or have, practice is the key to becoming a good goose caller. Good luck!!!!

travis_duckhunter

10 pointer
Aug 16, 2007
Owensboro, KY
Asked the same question on the Refuge forums on the goose hunting section this time last year... several guys recommended a Zink Power Clucker in poly to start with. I got it from Cabelas for $20 something bucks. Great call to learn on. Also look into the Bad Grammar instructional series, great for teaching you the ropes if you are clueless as I was. Just what worked for me as I was in the same boat as you just a year ago!