Goodbye deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Bohannon, Mar 18, 2020.

1. 1FowlHNTR

1FowlHNTR Spike

Jul 29, 2017
    Rowan County
    I've got insomnia from 16.5 years in the military... I've already contacted a couple of ranchers down here that are getting antsy...if I'm gonna be up, I might as well get paid!! LOL I'm recovering from eye surgery right now, but by the time it's said and done, I'll be able to move back to Kentucky where my heart is!!

2. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Fawn

Apr 6, 2007
    SW Indiana
    ... are pretty common.

3. hunter40502

hunter40502 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2014
    Bracken County
    LOL, wow, this is worse than buying toilet paper and water. Ain't gonna happen. :). enjoy

4. Kentucky Charlie

Kentucky Charlie Fawn

Mar 18, 2019
    Henry County KY
    It could be fun to play that scenario in your mind.

Country boys will survive AND be able to help neighbors. So many on here are speaking about deer but they are just a fraction of what's out there to eat. AND a very small factor in surviving. Maybe deer numbers will hurt but there's plenty to eat without deer. Heck Kentucky didnt have herds of deer in the depression either.

It's not all about hunting. Its about knowing what to do with sickness, or avoiding it. Like finding water and keeping YOUR shit out of it. It's about knowing the difference of plants, like when to eat polk so it doesn't hurt you or knowing what's elderberry's or Hemlock wine. (one is easy to make and good, the one will kill you but they look similar). It's being able to raise some livestock and defend it from threats. It's about knowing how to store food for the lean parts of the year.

and of course it's training a great couple dogs to help put food on the table and thieves in the light.

I have no doubt that in the first year i'll enjoy some rainbow stew and wine at dinner each night- If I had too.

Merle:
    Eatin' rainbow stew in a silver spoon
    Underneath that sky of blue
    We'll all be drinkin' that free bubble-ubb
    And eatin' that rainbow stew

Carl, 1FowlHNTR and beauhunter41031 like this.
  5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Put more water in the soup, there’s better times a coming

6. Poachers are like looters,just need a excuse.Not the end of the world yet.Hell this aint bad yet,everybody still doing what they want.The problem comes,win a pocket full of money ,will not buy anything or credit will not.Because nothing being shipped or made.Then its on.

7. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Grouse Guy would probably like to eat Nancy Pelosi. :D

riverboss, hotdog, carnivore and 2 others like this.
  8. Rocket

Rocket Fawn

Jun 28, 2013
    SHTF isnt coming. Deer arent going to be wiped out. This is all fear mongering and hand wringing.

Carl, timer and ojibwa62 like this.
  9. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Given her age she would be tough & Stringy. :D

Carl likes this.
  10. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    You're probably right! I hear that a lot of Deer harvested during the regular hunting season aren't Tele-checked.

11. ChrisInKY

ChrisInKY Fawn

Nov 7, 2019
    Fort Knox
    Non-hunters in the woods may be more delicious than deer.

Just sayin's all. ;)

12. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    EAT MORE POSSUM!

Carl and bigbonner like this.
  13. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I am not for poaching but if you have a few minutes read this. I think it is some reading from real living back during a hard time.
    Now I know times have changed and we hopefully will be ok , but at the same time you have to remember that our population has grown to way more people than during the depression. Cities are bigger and going out to a soup line or to look for work is hard to do being quarantined.
    What do you think happened to wild game back when people were hungry?
    https://www.encyclopedia.com/education/news-and-education-magazines/food-1929-1941

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  14. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Small part from the above link
    Finding Meat

Meat was more of a scarcity and was not served at every Depression meal. When used, it was often combined with potatoes, onions, rice, macaroni, biscuits, and other extenders. "Loafs" were popular meat stretchers and remained prevalent on dinner tables into the twenty-first century. Sunday meatloaf was made with ground beef; salmon loaf with cannon salmon; ham loaf, made with ground pork, was popular in southern states; and venison loaf was prepared in areas with abundant deer.

Families living near hunting and fishing sources were able to supplement their Depression era diets with highly desirable meat sources. Game included deer, squirrels, ground hogs, raccoons, and rabbits. Rabbits were eaten by so many people that they were dubbed "Hoover Hogs," after President Herbert Hoover. Fish fries were popular in areas where lakes and rivers could be fished. Fresh fish were seasoned, rolled in a flour-milk batter, and fried in lard.

In areas of the west where cattle and hogs remained plentiful, families felt the effects of the Depression less. The first freeze of the season meant it was time to butcher a cow or hog. Homemakers would can part of the meat, and the rest would be wrapped in paper and frozen outside until needed.

Putting meat into the family diet of the inner city poor called for innovative measures. Too ashamed and self-conscious of their plight, Chicago parents would send their children to the butcher for bones for the make-believe family dog. The butcher would give them large meaty bones that made a filling soup. The meat would be saved for the next day's hash. Of course, the make-believe family cat also got hungry so the kids went back to the butcher for liver. Liver, onions, potatoes, and gravy made for a hearty meal.

Another butcher by-product to be dealt with cleverly was bundles of chicken feet. Boiling chicken feet with greens, which could be obtained even in the city, resulted in a good pot of soup. The feet were discarded before serving, but the leftover broth was good for cooking cereal products such as farina and cracked wheat.

Fried chicken was a Sunday dinner main course for many families during Depression times. If you neither raised chickens nor had any money to buy one, you could substitute with the recipe "City Chickens," shared by Beverly Carman of Broadway, New Jersey, in Karen Thibodeau's book Dining During the Depression. City chickens were ground veal and pork, shaped around Popsicle sticks into the form of drum-sticks, rolled in cornflakes, and fried and baked until golden brown.

cedar creek, barney and Carl like this.
  15. I have a good recipe for coyote, they are going to be plentiful. Seriously, we are not at the SHTF point nor do I expect to be in this deal. So, far I have not missed a meal although I could. There are deer and squirrel in the freezer and my son-in-law just landed a 46", 20+ lb muskie that we plan to fry.

Sure there have been some short term disruptions in the supply chain due to hoarding but there is food available in the stores and we are not running out.

I too am glad though to be in rural KY and not one of the cities. IF the SHTF scenario really happened there would be looting a violence in the cities in a mater of days. Martial law would be declared, etc, etc.

Duckwisperer and Carl like this.