Good Used Car

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Anybody got a good deal out there? Been looking at cars for my great nephew. I could bend a little but my standards in my searches so far have been 2007 and newer, clean carfax, preferably 1 owner, no wrecks, under 150K. A car lot let me walk for $700 the other day so they aren’t giving much wiggle room for the good deals. Also, people will buy them up online without even seeing them in person or test driving. It’s crazy.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I heard on the news the other day that most new cars might be priced at $45K!!

My wife and I make decent salaries, but we’re not rich, I’ll never be able to buy a new car. We lease her ride so technically every 2-3 years she gets a new ride we’ll never own. I’ll drive my old truck until the wheels fall off because I’d never be able to afford a new one like it.

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
Anybody got a good deal out there? Been looking at cars for my great nephew. I could bend a little but my standards in my searches so far have been 2007 and newer, clean carfax, preferably 1 owner, no wrecks, under 150K. A car lot let me walk for $700 the other day so they aren’t giving much wiggle room for the good deals. Also, people will buy them up online without even seeing them in person or test driving. It’s crazy.
Been looking to trade myself. It's a REALLY bad time given the current prices/shortages.

bdbrown66

8 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
My wife and I had been planning to buy a new car to replace her 2011 Traverse with 220k+, before our luck ran out on it. We had narrowed our options down to a Subaru Forester or Mazda CX-5. Last summer the supplies of new cars were starting to get tight, so we decided to pull the trigger while we could on the CX-5. Only time I've ever paid MSRP on a car, but there was no negotiating at that point. I'm glad we bought when we did, and so far we have been very pleased with our purchase.

baknblack

12 pointer
Jan 30, 2014
Henry County
My wife and I had been planning to buy a new car to replace her 2011 Traverse with 220k+, before our luck ran out on it. We had narrowed our options down to a Subaru Forester or Mazda CX-5. Last summer the supplies of new cars were starting to get tight, so we decided to pull the trigger while we could on the CX-5. Only time I've ever paid MSRP on a car, but there was no negotiating at that point. I'm glad we bought when we did, and so far we have been very pleased with our purchase.
I bought a brand new Forrester in 16. Absolute POS. Rear hub at 40k. Transmission at 80k. Engine at 100k. The first 2 were taken care of under the extended warranty I bought. I actually got it in at 500 miles before the warranty expired but, they did some bogus testing on it and denied me a new motor. I was religious about maintaining it but, noticed some oil consumption starting around 80k. By 99k it was 2 qts between oil changes. After they denied me an engine I started putting Rotella 15w40 in it. That got me down to about a quart between oil changes. I drove it for another 30k and traded it. After doing some research I found that a lot of that particular engine have the same issue.
I expected better from a Japanese company.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I bought a brand new Forrester in 16. Absolute POS. Rear hub at 40k. Transmission at 80k. Engine at 100k. The first 2 were taken care of under the extended warranty I bought. I actually got it in at 500 miles before the warranty expired but, they did some bogus testing on it and denied me a new motor. I was religious about maintaining it but, noticed some oil consumption starting around 80k. By 99k it was 2 qts between oil changes. After they denied me an engine I started putting Rotella 15w40 in it. That got me down to about a quart between oil changes. I drove it for another 30k and traded it. After doing some research I found that a lot of that particular engine have the same issue.

I don’t know a lot about them but I know like 5 people that have Outbacks and love them. (Although I’ve always heard they’re the Lesbo mobile) LOL!

Last edited:

Tankt

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2019
Kentucky
I was planning on buying my first ever new vehicle this spring... Ford Maverick. It would basically be my daily driver but can haul some stuff like dog box, groceries, etc. For $20k and 38 mpg I think it's a good value.

I bought my current daily driver for $2800 5 years ago and it has more than paid for itself in gas savings over my old truck.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Went to look at a 2010 1 owner Maxima that I got a text about from a local dealer. It came Monday, they put it online, but didn’t even have pics uploaded yet. I got there and the guy said, “It just passed our inspection and we took it to detail.” He drove me over to detail (huge lot). He said, “We’ll sell it to you since you’re here but the first guy you talked to already had a full price offer online.” It was loaded but I didn’t love it so I passed, especially since it didn’t sound like they were willing to deal. Trust me that wasn’t just a sales pitch. The good deals are literally going as soon as they get there. People aren’t even test driving them. It’s ridiculous. The passenger side window on my wife’s lease is acting up and I took it to Toyota earlier this morning. I asked if they had any decent trades in good shape like a Corolla or Camry and they were like, “Good luck!” Guy in service that I’ve worked with for years told me they have all of their new and used vehicles marked up 4-6k higher than they should be. Part of it is lack of inventory. They simply aren’t making as many right now. I got a few more marked to view in the coming days.

Last edited:

Mainbeam

12 pointer
Jul 7, 2012
Im a rebuilt man. No way I’d pay retail . I’m in the process of buying a 17 f350 XLT crew cab dually with a 6.7 power stroke. Beautiful truck. After I fix it back I’m looking at 34k on the road. That’s over a ten thousand profit margin on the books. In this market it could be a 20k dollar margin. I can fix a lot of shit for ten grand. It didn’t even blow the airbags. That’s just me though to each their own.

bdbrown66

8 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
That's horrible!!!

One of the reasons we decided against the Subaru is that they've gone to CVT's on all their models now. In my research, I heard about lots of problems with them. When they go bad, everything gets chewed up inside. And unlike a regular transmission, you can't really rebuild them, so you end up buying a new one for $10k. The Mazda, on the other hand, has plenty of amenities and options, but it's a normal 4-cylinder with a normal transmission. Sometimes older is better. We've got less than 5k on it so far, but no issues at all so far. If we get 200k+ out of it, like the Chevy, I'll be happy.

Latest posts