Good Squirrel Recipes

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by TPHunt2Eat, Aug 18, 2018.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Season meat, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Cook down pull off bone. Brown in skillet . Wrap in a croissant shell with sour cream. Bake until croissant is done and brown.

2. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Bump to top for squirrel season coming up.

drakeshooter likes this.
  3. patiodadio

patiodadio 8 pointer

Mar 22, 2014
    Tim Farmer has a good crock pot recipe for squirrel.

4. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I likem fried but another way I’ve tried and liked is put ur squirrels in a pan and cover them with Italian dressing salt and pepper and cover in tin foil and put in oven. Pretty tender even the foxes.

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  5. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Looking forward this weekend to contributing some meat to our annual squack feast in oct. usually the menu consists of pressure cooked squacks, gravy, fried taters,cornbread, and cooked sweet taters in heavy syrup. Last yr we cooked 40 and wasn’t a bite left. Lol

drakeshooter, davers and bondhu like this.
  6. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    I like them KFC chicken style. Egg wash, breaded, and pan fried. Then to the pressure cooker on the top rack with just a little water on the bottom to steam for 15-20 minutes until they fall of the bone. Pull them out and place on a rack in a 450 oven to recrisp.

7. I like the sound of that for the big tough ones.

davers likes this.
  8. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I had two big fox squirrels tempting their fate infront of my truck this morning, I looked behind me and guess they got lucky but that Recipe might coming to play soon

9. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I find that Fox Squirrels have a lot more meat then the smaller Grays. As far as taste and tenderness, they both require a bit of time cooking to tenderize them. Fox Squirrels are the better of the two species.

10. Huh???? The flesh of a young, tender grey is the sweetest and possibly the best tasting source of protein on the planet. I’d turn down a prime rib for a perfectly fried young grey, especially the back! I’ve tried a few fox squirrels and they were tough and tasted like baked wood.

11. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I agree that little grays are number one. But having very little around I have adapted to the bigger fox. Last time I prepared them i used a cornstarch batter on high heat for seven or eight minutes then reduced heat, applied lid and let go for another 15 or 20 and I was pretty happy with those results.

drakeshooter likes this.
  12. The couple of fox squirrels I tried were probably older ones, but I don’t know much about aging them compared to greys and even older greys aren’t my favorite when fried. They gotta be younguns.

13. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Nothing against favoring the smaller grays, as I really don't see much difference in taste. Fox Squirrels do require a bit more cooking sometimes, in a 350* oven, after browning in vegetable oil, but there is far more meat on them compared to Grays.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  14. I’m not debating their size, just the fact that fox squirrel flesh can’t hold up a grey squirrel’s underwear in the taste department. Not even close lol!