Good Squirrel Recipes

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by TPHunt2Eat, Aug 18, 2018.

1. TPHunt2Eat

TPHunt2Eat Fawn

Jun 22, 2017
    Morehead, KY
    I seem to have quite a bit of fox squirrels around where I hunt and i got a couple last fall season. They are much bigger than gray squirrels.

2. TPHunt2Eat

TPHunt2Eat Fawn

Jun 22, 2017
    Morehead, KY
    That was the same kind of issue I was having. I'm going to try the boiling and crock pot thing this year and see how that goes.

3. Imho parboiling first kills that sweet flavor you get from young greys, that’s why I only fry up the first year young squirrels you don’t need to boil first and crockpot or make dumplings out of the older, tougher ones. Young greys are nearly fall off the bone tender when fried right.

bondhu likes this.
  4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    My brother never boils any of them. Fox or grays. I like to boil first no matter how I cook them.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    drakeshooter likes this.
  5. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I didnt get to go this weekend but I did clean 9 that kin folk gave me. I feel a squackfest coming soon. Lol

xbokilla and drakeshooter like this.
  6. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    The only thing we keep an electric skillet around for is young gray squirrels. Seasoned flour on'em and Brown on each side on hot (350-400). Then add about an inch of stock or water. heat down to a simmer, lid on and let'er go around an hour.All fox and old grays need a par boil or crock pot.

xbokilla and drakeshooter like this.
  7. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013
    I've got more fox squirrels than I can deal with. Hardly ever see a grey unless its in town. And yes, a young fox is great.

davers likes this.
  8. II RiNgEyE II

II RiNgEyE II 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2009
    Brindle Ridge, KY
    Killed three this morning. I soaked them in salt water for about 3 hours. I scoured the nest so the salt water could penetrate more. I pulled them out and dryed them off and seasoned in my All purpose rub. They are baking on a cookie rack st 250 with orange juice below it and tented to create a steam affect. I'm going to dredge them and flash fry to get the crisp.

davers, drakeshooter and xbokilla like this.
  9. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Wish my place was like yours. I see very few Fox Squirrels and tons of the smaller Grays.

10. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I went out yesterday evening and got 2 grays. That makes 17 for the squack dinner. Need 8 more. I can hear that pressure cooker jiggler rt now! Lol

11. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I guess I'm set in my ways...I've only eaten them fried along with a side of biscuits and gravy.

drakeshooter likes this.
  12. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    Slow cook until falling off bone in seasoned- to- taste water. Rake the meat off the bones with a fork, mix in mashed potatoes and diced onions with a little flour. Make patties and fry them in Crisco with a little butter until browned.

rcb216, TripleGee, hunt and 1 other person like this.
  13. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Never heard thst before. Interesting indeed.

drakeshooter likes this.
  14. I soak em in salt water with a splash of apple cider vinegar overnite to remove any blood and gamey taste. Then roll em in seasoned flour and fry for a couple minutes on each side. Place these in a crock pot with chicken stock or bone broth and simmer all day until fallin off the bone. Make a gravy with some of the juice from the pot and bake a pan of bisquits or dumplins and you got what's for dinner. Even the fox squirrels are good like that.

Irish

davers likes this.
  15. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Cooked up a couple fox squirrels tonight. Had them soaking in salt water overnight. Seasoned up some cornstarch and made thin batter then flash fried quickly, put the lid on and simmered for 45 minutes and it turned out delicious