Good Squirrel Recipes

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by TPHunt2Eat, Aug 18, 2018.

1. TPHunt2Eat

TPHunt2Eat Fawn

Jun 22, 2017
    Morehead, KY
    Anyone have any good recipes for squirrel? I like to hunt some squirrels occasionally but I have never found a way I like to cook them. Opening day is today so good luck, squirrel hunters!

2. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    I cook them same as a rabbit. Boil for five minutes salty water. Then pepper n salt and pan fry in butter.

patiodadio and TPHunt2Eat like this.
  3. TPHunt2Eat

TPHunt2Eat Fawn

Jun 22, 2017
    Morehead, KY
    I like it. Simple and easy. Last time I tried cooking them, I didn't boil it and it came out real tough so I'll give that a try and see how they turn out.

4. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Salt and pepper them or any seasoning u prefer. Pressure cook them. we usually do 8 at one time. Takes roughly 25 mins till they are falling off the bone. Take them out and make ur gravy in the pot. Fried taters and cornbread. Lord yea

TPHunt2Eat likes this.
  5. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Or u can pressure cook them about 3/4 that time and take them out, season, roll in flour and fry them. Good way too! However if they are younguns or spring squirrels, u can skip the pressure cook step and just fry them.

6. TPHunt2Eat

TPHunt2Eat Fawn

Jun 22, 2017
    Morehead, KY
    That sounds good too

7. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    Season to your liking and cook in the crockpot 6 or so hours with just enough water to cover the bottom of crockpot.

In my opinion, this is the easiest way to get all of the meat off the bone.

hunt, JR PORTER and TPHunt2Eat like this.
  8. TPHunt2Eat

TPHunt2Eat Fawn

Jun 22, 2017
    Morehead, KY
    Crock pot would be good too. Good way to keep it tender.

9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Also boil a bit and grill. Can BBQ or let set in a marinade. I think letting them boil a bit is key to however you cook them. I’m no pro and it isn’t the healthiest but hard to beat mentioned deep fried as above.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  10. TPHunt2Eat

TPHunt2Eat Fawn

Jun 22, 2017
    Morehead, KY
    I think the boiling part was probably what I was missing in the past. I'm going to try that and do a few different styles. Trial and error is key when learning anything new.

xbokilla likes this.
  11. If they’re older and tough I crockpot them or boil and make dumplings. I never fry older ones so no boiling necessary, just a good slow fry. Imho fried young grey squirrel is the best flavored meat on the planet. There’s nothing like it.

hunt and TPHunt2Eat like this.
  12. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I love fried fried squacks. U guys ever try young fox squirrels? I've honestly not seen a handful in my whole life. But if I can get them, they are a treat. About big as an adult grey but more meat.

TPHunt2Eat and davers like this.
  13. The only fox I ever tried eating was tough as shoe leather.

TPHunt2Eat likes this.
  14. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Put them a crockpot if they are old ones and they are just like a grey fully cooked only more meat

JR PORTER and TPHunt2Eat like this.