Good deer tenderloin marinade

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by EastKYHardwoodHunter, Jul 27, 2019.

1. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter 6 pointer

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    Give me your best deer loin marinade recipes. Not dealt with Dale marinade much and bout ruined some good loin tonight. U could salt the road with it but I ate it anyway. My chanterelles made up for my poor loin turnout.

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Dales is great, but don't want to marinade anything in it more than 20 minutes or so.

Munson and Ataulbe1 like this.
  3. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    When I use Dales, I always marinade venison using one part water and one part Dales. Let soak over night, turns out great for me.

bondhu and xbokilla like this.
  4. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Dales is great. But i cut mine 50% or better with water..just too salty for a marinade alone.

I also like allegro. They have a wild game marinade thats good..and also the original. I use it straight.

My homemade marinade is:
    1 regular bottle soy sauce
    Same amount of water.
    Half bottle or worchestire sauce.
    1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic powder
    Tony chacheres creole
    Cavenders greek
    Blend well and marinade overnight.

bondhu and davers like this.
  5. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Tenderloin does not need marinade IMO so i just sear in butter with garlic and pepper till rare or med rare then salt once done. Top with sautéed mushrooms and onions.

With that said if i did not like mine rare or had family that did not id go with some if these suggestions...

I prefer mixing marinades with oil rather than water on most marinades. They sell canola/olive oil blends u can use if you dont want to use 100% olive oil.
    Here are some examples...
    Put meat and marinade in a 1 gallon ziplock mix it up and set in fridge overnight.
    3/4 Cup of olive oil, 1/4 cup of dales, and a few shakes of your favorite pepper.
    1/2 Cup of olive oil, 1/2 cup of coke, and a few shakes of your favorite pepper.
    1/2 Cup of olive oil, 1/2 cup of teriyaki (or any other asian sauce u want to try, szechaun is spicy), and a few shakes of your favorite pepper.
    1/2 Cup of olive oil, 1/2 cup of IPA beer, and a few shakes of your favorite pepper. Drink remaining beer.
    You dont want much sauce on the outside or they will burn when cooking use you finger to clean most of it off.

Test these on some lesser cuts till you find one you like. And change proportions till you it suits you. Always mix and taste your marinade before you apply to meats.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    bondhu, Munson and xbokilla like this.
  6. Agreed on no marinade. I like my venison to taste like venison. It’s like marinating a beef rib roast. Curious why you’d want to cover up the taste of a good loin?

davers, Munson and xbokilla like this.
  7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    All good suggestions. I go pretty simple. Olive oil, a little salt but lots of pepper, and some cheap McCormicks rub. I brush on the extra from the bowl while grilling at a low temp when I flip it.

I have also used the A1 steak marinade in the Chicago flavor a time or two. Not bad, but too much can dominate the flavor and I agree with everyone that says it doesn’t need much help.

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  8. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter 6 pointer

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    I love just loin but was just experimenting with different things. thought I’d see what u guys do when u want a little something different

xbokilla and drakeshooter like this.
  9. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I use marinades on round steaks and on tougher deer, just never on inner tenderloins.

bondhu, davers and drakeshooter like this.
  10. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I use the reduced sodium Dale's. 42% less sodium which is still plenty salty enough for me. But usually I just stick to some combination of butter or olive oil, garlic, salt, and lots of pepper.

11. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Melt stick of butter in frying pan. Mix flour seasoning salt black pepper garlic in zip lock bag. Put loin in that shake it up good. Put loin in butter till golden brown. IS THE WAY I LIKE IT.

bondhu and carnivore like this.
  12. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Gutshot? I’ve ruined a couple this way or bust a piss bladder.

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Actually this is my go to for backstraps moreso than loins. I mainly just salt and pepper the loins heavy and skillet fry to eat with breakfast.

muddhunter likes this.
  14. I like the straps 3-1 better than the inner loins and lots of people look at you crazy when u tell them that.

muddhunter likes this.
  15. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    My step daughter thinks tenderloin (beef and deer) is too mushy.