Gonna be in the market for an AR, what is a good one?

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by 300winmag, Dec 31, 2014.

1. ducknbuckhunter

ducknbuckhunter 10 pointer

Aug 3, 2005
    Owensboro/Murray
    Pm me if have questions, I'm no Albert with em but I know some. I started out in college as poor ole boy wanting an ar so bad I could taste it. It was nice guys like ezell that took me under their wing. I'm sure if I can't answer your question I can find someone who will.

2. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Thanks guys! One of the best things the Grendel has going for it is top notch brass. That means next to nothing to anyone that doesn't handload, but it's a huge benefit that handloaders get to realize, and others don't get. Lapua makes fantastic brass for the Grendel. It's expensive on the front end, but is much cheaper in the long run than brass that won't last or be as consistent. The problem with any semi auto and buying high end brass is keeping up with it. It's germination rate is the same as cheap brass.

3. ducknbuckhunter

Aug 3, 2005
    Owensboro/Murray
    Finally got this one out today. It's the brother to the one I posted earlier, just with a different scope. My dedicated varmint rifle. Only got out to 219yrds today. Didn't have long to shoot. Zeroed it at 100yrds. (Top Circle target 5 shot group. image.jpg
    Then out to 219 yrds with a 5 shot group. image.jpg
    Pretty happy with this load of 25.2gr of acc2200 topped with a 120 gr Sierra bt moly. Here's the rifle: 16" aa barrel and bolt. Lmt upper/internals with an old pre ban pwa lower. image.jpg

4. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Groups like that make it hard to blame the gun, if you miss.:) That's half the battle. Lots of people can out shoot their equipment. The better the gun shoots, the harder it is to say that. Yours will make it pretty tough to find excuses. You can't learn how to shoot with a gun that won't shoot. You have got to be able to trust the equipment to shoot small.

5. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    Nice looking rifle and very nice shooting. Something ain't right, the 6.8 guys say you have to have a long pipe for the Grendel to shoot that accurate? :D hahaha

* sacrcasm ^ *

6. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I don't think so. That's only 219 yards, and I never claimed you needed a long barrel to be accurate at short ranges. All I said is that within the typical range the average shooter shoots an AR, the Grendel holds no real advantage over the 6.8. At those ranges, the 6.8 typically carries more energy. The 6.8's other advantage is it's popularity.

I just don't understand why people buy a round based on it's performance at ranges they most likely will never shoot at? To me, if I was going to shoot at 900 yards and was determined to use an AR, I would step up to the AR-10 and use a .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor and I'd certainly want at least a quality 20" barrel and a very nice optic. That's all I'm saying. If you are going to buy an AR with a budget of $1000, IMO it would be difficult to build a long range Grendel. To me, I'd rather get something that meets my basic/ real world needs very well as opposed to shooting for the stars for no real reason and end up falling short.

7. ducknbuckhunter

Aug 3, 2005
    Owensboro/Murray
    I choose barrel harmonics/ heat over barrel length and fps. Look up ole Todd hodnett with accuracy first. Trading fps for length and barrel harmonics has been a proven win. They have done more testing than I can even fathom. Imo he preaches the gospel to riflemen. 308 out past a mile with an 18"er, they doing something right.

8. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    If your not dead set on a brand new AR, than you can find some deals on used ones right now that you couldn't build for $1,000. I recently picked up a BCM (Bravo Company USA) with Spikes Tactical lower. It was equipped with a Magpul Bad Lever ($30), MBUS Pro Steel Flip Up sights ($190 a set), ($100 stock). I paid $800 for it and it looked new. It was a complete rifle, and from everything I've read, both companies are well respected brands in the business. it was a 16" HBAR and shot like a champ. I seen someone mention stay away from Chrome Lined barrels if you want accuracy. Hey, the BCM was a CL 1:8 twist, and it shot right at 1" MOA. So to me, that is plenty well enough to hunt with. I'm sick right now because I sold that rifle, but if I can make a dollar, I'll sell it.

I just picked up a PSA complete rifle that has a 16" HBAR SS Fluted 1:9 twist barrel. Free float rail, flat top and a few more add ons. I got it on the used market for under $700 and it doesn't look like it's had a box of shells run through it. Not got a chance to shoot it yet, but even without shooting it, I know it will shoot Minute of Coyote, which is what it will be used for.

There is so many AR's on the market right now because of the recent panic following the events in Sandy Hook that a good deal can be found.

One thing I will mention. The Spikes Tactical lower that was on the BCM did not have fire & safe on the selection lever. It had a image of a bullet for fire, and the same image with a X through it for safe on the lower. Guess what, the Palmetto State I just picked up has the same thing for fire & safe. Only difference I see in the lower is the roll mark on the right side. That makes me believe the same company built both lowers. Only difference is the roll mark on the side.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  9. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    I think everyone should have an AR, and it should be chambered in 5.56/223, simply because of the availability of ammo. Now, having said that, I would stay away from the entry level rifles, as I think some of those are not made to hold up under a lot of shooting. I have built several, and bought complete rifles, and the fun part about AR's are all the choices you have. In complete rifles, the Rock Rivers are hard to beat, and I've never seen one that didn't shoot good. I have had good luck with Colt's and Stag's, and have used DPMS, Delton, CCMG, Daniel Defense, PSA, Anderson, and YHM parts with good results. I also have a 6.8 Bison Armory upper that shoots better than I can. I like the 6.8 as a deer round, and have also used it on coyotes. The funny thing is, as much as I like AR's, most of hunting is done with bolt rifles, as I just prefer them.

10. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    Well, almost 2 years later but I finally pulled the trigger (hardy har har :D ) on a 6.5 grendel upper. The reason its two years later is because life... and I decided it'd be better to put together a 5.56 AR first. So now that I have that outta the way, I was able to do the 6.5 Grendel. I have a lower and all LPK so all I lack is a buttstock et al but I may put the upper on my 5.56 lower just to start getting some rounds through it until I decide what stock I want to put on it. Would like to do a magpul PRS but I'm still trying to stay under the $1000 price tag for the build and that would put me over.

11. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Dunham has the dpms 223 oracle for 499.00 right now

Brsutton86 likes this.
  12. Kudzu

Kudzu 6 pointer

Sep 12, 2015
    East Ky
    Been very pleased with my doublestar! Great rifle and made in ky!

13. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    What 6.5 upper did you go with? First AR I bought was a Colt now I want to build that I've learned the platform. Originally wanted to get a Daniel Defense barrel and build around it on 5.56 but a 6.5 is tempting.

14. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    If you're asking me... It's a 22" Hardened Arms upper. Got it with a matched JP bcg. Hopefully it shoots good. I really wanted to try a Radical Arms upper but couldn't find one in stock anywhere and the money was burning a hole in my pocket so I went with the Hardened Arms. We'll see how it does.

Brsutton86 likes this.
  15. jshepherd

jshepherd 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    Breathitt
    ive got a ruger sr556 and I love it