Golden Malrin (EHD and raccoons)

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ggodwin, Oct 10, 2013.

1. ggodwin

ggodwin 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2009
    Boone County
    I was talking to a guy at the co-op and he told me about a product that he uses to control the flies and raccoons. Golden Malrin. He told me he puts this product out around his corn stations and every so often he will have to drag a big raccoon away because it poisons them. He also said that it kills thousands and thousands of flies in his woods which he suspects to help control the EHD.

Has anyone ever heard of this? What are your thoughts?

2. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    I haven't heard of it but it seems that if it poisons coons it would poison deer too. If I knew for sure it wouldn't I would definitely use it just to keep the coons away from my corn if nothing else.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

3. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    I've never heard of this solution to EHD control. Remember if a thousand or more midges are killed off, there are a million more to take their place. Must add it's "noble gesture" in his effort to help prevent EHD.

I agree it might also poison the area's Deer.

4. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    I would be leery of placing any poison strong enough to kill a mammal the size of a raccoon anywhere in the woods. By placing something like that anywhere away from your immediate property (house/barn) you would probably be held liable for any non target (or, God Forbid, federally protected) species that might come in contact with it and die. Seems like playing with fire to me.

5. ggodwin

ggodwin 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2009
    Boone County
    I read that cats and dogs won't eat it.

But, I agree, if there is risk of deer eating it then I wouldn't do it.

But.... We can definitely make a station elevated up in a tree. Might lose a squirrel or two. But....

Well, It might be worth a try.

6. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    trouble with most poison is that it doesn't stop working with the target animal. Say a squirrel does ingest enough to kill it. Now say a red tailed hawk eats that squirrel and dies. You will be held responsible for the death of the hawk. (and while the small game population will thank you, the feds might not see it that way.)

7. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    By baiting an area with corn and then lacing it with "poison" thereby "taking" protected animals (i.e. coons and possibly others) through unlawful means, I suspect your buddy is in violation of several provisions of KRS Chapter 150.

I'd also guess a prosecutor could make out a case of felony animal cruelty/abuse.

8. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    I agree, it's illegal to place poison where protected wildlife can be exposed to or consume it.

9. elkguy

elkguy 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2004
    Sounds pretty stupid to me.

10. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Using a chemical against its label is illegal. Fly bait when mixed with grape soda is used frequently around the Midwest to kill coons, but it's highly illegal. The co-op can face heavy penalties for that guy recommending such actions. Dead coons lead to dead hawks, owls and vultures. Then your facing additional federal charges. Don't follow the direction of that idiot.

11. ggodwin

ggodwin 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2009
    Boone County
    I did hear him say "Don't quote me".
    a simple google search showed a user using the Grape Soda on Raccoons.

12. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Since you can't quote the Co-Op guy and a simply google search showed you how to use the grape soda coon dispatcher method, K9trapper is clearly wrong, and both are perfectly legal.

I recommend that you try both methods and make a video to see which one works best. You can post up the results on here. :)

13. ggodwin

ggodwin 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2009
    Boone County
    I think I'm going to put out tons of corn and let my boys use a .22 to practice up.

14. KYHeadHunter02

KYHeadHunter02 8 pointer

Oct 9, 2008
    20+ ft up
    I know of someone that uses the fly bait method mixed with gatorade or a soft drink to kill coons. The bait typically kills them quickly. He finds them with their head in the bowl frequently or just a few steps away. He does check daily and removes the animals.

15. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    You must not understand the legal system, I foresee a subpoena in your future! Poisons aren't specific to the end user boys, hence it's illegal.