Going to try taxidermy next year

jshepherd

6 pointer
Nov 3, 2015
Breathitt
Hey guys, I have done a couple of fish in the past that turned out good. I done a deer years ago that didn't turn out good at all, in fact looked like a retarded dog lol, but to my credit I was shaping everything my own without buying the forms, any suggestions for a newbie trying to mount his own deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmullins

6 pointer
Aug 3, 2006
Letcher County
The best point I can give for starting out is that you must have a properly prepared hide to work with. It's the foundation of the mount. You can send them out to be tanned, or invest in the equipment to do them yourself which is not cheap, but it has to be properly fleshed and thinned to achieve a nice mount.

farmertom

8 pointer
Jan 21, 2011
Hey guys, I have done a couple of fish in the past that turned out good. I done a deer years ago that didn't turn out good at all, in fact looked like a retarded dog lol, but to my credit I was shaping everything my own without buying the forms, any suggestions for a newbie trying to mount his own deer?

Hey man I do my taxi work on deer and I love it. The hides do not have to be tanned all of mine are dry preserve wether I done them or a taxidermist did them . I learned how from you tube and my former taxidermist . he helped me some . PM me and we can chat about it over the phone if you want . I have some posts on here with pics of the mounts I've done if you can find them .

Good luck have fun
God Bless

Sent from my LGL21G using Tapatalk

dmullins

6 pointer
Aug 3, 2006
Letcher County
No, they don't have to be tanned but a tanned cape will produce better results in my opinion. But even with dry preserve, they have to be prepared properly to achieve good results is what I was saying. You can flesh with a razor and knife and take hours to do it right or buy the equipment to do it. I notice a lot of mounts posted that are drying with a bunch of pins around the mouth, eyes, etc. With a properly thinned hide you don't need all that. I use two small pins, one in the front corner of each eye when I mount deer. This is all is needed when the hide is prepared properly. Besides, with every pin, there is a hole that has to be fixed.

jshepherd

6 pointer
Nov 3, 2015
Breathitt
Thanks for the offer of help I'll be sure to stay in touch, I'm only planning on mounting for myself and close family, I can't really see no business opportunities in this line of work for me, I'd be too afraid of messing up somebody's deer

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Hey man I do my taxi work on deer and I love it. The hides do not have to be tanned all of mine are dry preserve wether I done them or a taxidermist did them . I learned how from you tube and my former taxidermist . he helped me some . PM me and we can chat about it over the phone if you want . I have some posts on here with pics of the mounts I've done if you can find them .

Good luck have fun
God Bless

Sent from my LGL21G using Tapatalk

have any of your capes split where it was sewn up?

dmullins

6 pointer
Aug 3, 2006
Letcher County
If not, give em a little time. I have a early season bow kill deer that was mounted by someone else before I started. It is a dp mount and they done a great job on the look of the deer. But the seam is gapped open half inch now after a few years.

Last edited:

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
If not, give em a little time. I have a early season bow kill deer that was mounted by someone else before I started. It is a dp mount and they done a great job on the look of the deer. But the seam is gapped open half inch now after a few years.
My dad mounted my first deer in 1988 and did not tan the hide. He works for hours on fleshing and there is nothing to sew except a little around the antlers. It's been 27 years and there's no gap anywhere, so what you last two guys are implying is a joke. Apparently whoever done your alls had no idea what they were doing.

dmullins

6 pointer
Aug 3, 2006
Letcher County
My dad mounted my first deer in 1988 and did not tan the hide. He works for hours on fleshing and there is nothing to sew except a little around the antlers. It's been 27 years and there's no gap anywhere, so what you last two guys are implying is a joke. Apparently whoever done your alls had no idea what they were doing.
Not many taxidermists work "hours" fleshing deer. Why work for hours and not have as good a product when you don't have to. Post a pic of the deer that's 27 years old. I did not say it could not be done, most don't do it right, especially someone just starting. I tan all my own deer hides and spend about hour fleshing each one. If I had to spend hours fleshing a deer hide I would have quit a long time ago.

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
Not many taxidermists work "hours" fleshing deer. Why work for hours and not have as good a product when you don't have to. Post a pic of the deer that's 27 years old. I did not say it could not be done, most don't do it right, especially someone just starting. I tan all my own deer hides and spend about hour fleshing each one. If I had to spend hours fleshing a deer hide I would have quit a long time ago.

Give me your cell # and I'll send pictures of a dozen for ya. The product is as good or better than anything you can do, I guarantee that. He does it right, been doing it since the early 80's. He takes his time and fleshes with a fillet knife, if you can flesh it in an hour without a fleshing machine you aren't fleshing it right. You must not be doing inside the eyelids, nose, ears etc. Sounds like you do poor quality work to me. He only mounts for me and him mainly why would he quit long ago? He does no work for anyone except very close friends.

dmullins

6 pointer
Aug 3, 2006
Letcher County
Give me your cell # and I'll send pictures of a dozen for ya. The product is as good or better than anything you can do, I guarantee that. He does it right, been doing it since the early 80's. He takes his time and fleshes with a fillet knife, if you can flesh it in an hour without a fleshing machine you aren't fleshing it right. You must not be doing inside the eyelids, nose, ears etc. Sounds like you do poor quality work to me. He only mounts for me and him mainly why would he quit long ago? He does no work for anyone except very close friends.

Just tell me where I said I flesh mine without a fleshing machine. I do flesh mine with a fleshing machine which is why I don't have to spend hours doing it. There has always been a debate over which is better a tanned hide or a dp hide. Always will be. I have done both and in MY opinion a tanned had produces a better mount long term. That's just my opinion.

As far as poor quality, I raise my prices every year and take in more work every year. I guess my poor quality is keeping me in business.

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
Just tell me where I said I flesh mine without a fleshing machine. I do flesh mine with a fleshing machine which is why I don't have to spend hours doing it. There has always been a debate over which is better a tanned hide or a dp hide. Always will be. I have done both and in MY opinion a tanned had produces a better mount long term. That's just my opinion.

As far as poor quality, I raise my prices every year and take in more work every year. I guess my poor quality is keeping me in business.
Let's see here, you didn't say you fleshed without a fleshing machine but you did say and I quote, " Not many taxi's spend hours fleshing and why would anyone spend that much time for an inferior product". Which I, in turn, said that if you don't spend hours fleshing you must be using a fleshing machine BECAUSE you made a comment about spending money for all that equipment. I'm not saying that a tanned or a dp is better, what I am saying is I have mounts over 27 years old that are great with no seams separating as you claim they will do. Granted I can tell a difference in quality of my first mounts to the ones my dad done just recently, he's got better but that had NOTHING to do with dp just that his skills are a little better in the details.

dmullins

6 pointer
Aug 3, 2006
Letcher County
Let's see here, you didn't say you fleshed without a fleshing machine but you did say and I quote, " Not many taxi's spend hours fleshing and why would anyone spend that much time for an inferior product". Which I, in turn, said that if you don't spend hours fleshing you must be using a fleshing machine BECAUSE you made a comment about spending money for all that equipment. I'm not saying that a tanned or a dp is better, what I am saying is I have mounts over 27 years old that are great with no seams separating as you claim they will do. Granted I can tell a difference in quality of my first mounts to the ones my dad done just recently, he's got better but that had NOTHING to do with dp just that his skills are a little better in the details.

I am done here. Got better things to do. But again, my opinion and I have done both is that a tanned hide is better than a dp hide.

johnky

8 pointer
Apr 5, 2011
Loretto ky
I know so many taxidermist who raise there prices every year. I take my to a man in Bardstown who has the same price for the last 4 years.

Latest posts