Going to give it one more try this weekend

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by cedar creek, May 6, 2021.

1. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Been rough season for me, missed one opening morning on only farm that has few birds, several other farms are dead or un huntable population, turkey hunting is what keeps me going through out the year, I’m kind of in a depression state knowing that might be first season in history I go down with tag soup, I have seen this coming for several years now, I miss the glory days of the sport, to many factors and theory’s on the sharp decline, poor birds don’t have much of a chance if you think about it, predators, poachers, industrial farmers, etc to many to list, if you have birds you better be thankful and do what you can to keep them because once they start to disappear they gone quick,

riverboss, Feedman and Timholt70 like this.
  2. Timholt70

Timholt70 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    Yes cherish it .if it hasn't happened to you yet it will sooner or later.i hope it will kind of level out.

3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Hunting is a addictive drug, Fish and Wildlife get you addicted with supplying you with lots of good stuff, then they set back and watch or trade off your supply like they did with elk!
    They know they are going to sell tags and chances because they got you hooked.

4. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I'm right there with you. Though I have only been a weekend hunter this year, I have not even had an opportunity. I have seen 3 jakes total and a couple hens. This past Sunday was the closest I have been with a strutting and gobbling Jake at about 75 yard hung up on an open ridge. Last year I saw 2 longbeards all season with both being on the last day and bumped them going into my setup. Killed a Jake on the last evening last year so guess if I get a shot at one this weekend I will take one again.

5. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Rough here as well. I've heard 2 gobblers on the limb all year. Did manage to kill a Jake early, but not too hopeful this final weekend.....but I will be out there ! I'm not sure how many days I've hunted Fort Knox, but have yet to hear a gobble there. That's unheard of.

RLWEBB likes this.
  6. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Good luck guys. You can go from zero to hero in a matter of seconds. Hang in there! @bowhunter269 comment about no gobbles at Knox is surprising to me.

7. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Shocking to me !! I've hunted areas that I've hunted for years......and not heard that first bird. I've been in at least 9 different areas (maybe more), several on more than one occasion. Several times I've hunted from daylight to 1pm (quitting time) and I've seen a grand total of one (1) hen.....and I flushed her off the roost about an hour after legal shooting light. Crazy.

RLWEBB likes this.
  8. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Man that’s depressing. I know there used to be a lot of birds there.

bowhunter269 likes this.
  9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    On Saturday morning, I'm taking my cousin that I took in youth season. Hopefully find a lonely bird for him.

10. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Good luck. I’m tagged out but could take my wife but Mother’s Day this weekend and hunting is out. I put all my stuff up last night.
    Fixin start coyote huntin now.

Timholt70 and mudhole crossing like this.
  11. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    This year hasn’t been so kind to me either. I usually have one of my tags filled by now, but this year is looking like tag soup, which I haven’t had to eat for a long time. This year I lost my best spot that was always good for killing one bird. My backup spot I have not heard the first gobble on this year. I picked up a new spot, very small but can go there any morning and hear multiple birds on the next property over. But where I can hunt it’s mostly a hay field which is too tall now, and the birds there refuse to answer to a call, just gobble at every crow and rooster within a mile.

12. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Taking pap on sat lord willing. He’s feeling pretty good this week and wants to give it one more shot on his 2nd tag. If we don’t succeed it’s still been a blessed season.

woodsman92 and Timholt70 like this.
  13. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Have to work today, missed the last good morning, would like to ditch work and go but my family comes first and bills to pay, sucks, going to try this evening and hopefully tomorrow morning might have a break in the storm

woodsman92 likes this.