Going rate for deer and turkey leases per acre?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by TBo, May 7, 2020.

1. TBo

TBo Fawn

Jan 16, 2018
    West Ky
    What seems to be the average per acre lease rate now every one pays for turkey/deer hunting? Not waterfowl.

2. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Last lease I was on we were paying $20/acer

3. TBo

TBo Fawn

Jan 16, 2018
    West Ky

4. TBo

TBo Fawn

Jan 16, 2018
    West Ky
    Thanks man, that’s kinda what I thought. I paid just a tiny bit more but it was adjoining my farm and worth a little more to me. Thanks again.

5. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    What kind of refunds do you folks make for the leases to OOS hunters who have not been able to hunt turkeys? I would assume all of it.

6. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I would say there is a lot of outfitters hiding . A god outfitter would refund your money or give you options for 2021 season.

Bee likes this.
  7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Is that in Ky or down south? Through an "agent" or deal direct with landowner?

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  8. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    “What kind of refunds do you folks make for the leases to OOS hunters who have not been able to hunt turkeys? I would assume all of it.“

Full refund would seem appropriate but what if the owner could have leased it out to some locals but it was tied up with the oos guys. Bad situation and someone is going to be out some money. Depends on which side of the fence you’re on as to what you think is the right call I reckon.

TBo likes this.
  9. Timholt70

Timholt70 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    I have a 1,000 acre lease.$20 an acre.christian county.

10. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    That was when I was still living in Kentucky, land was in north Christian county, direct dealing with the landowner.

11. TBo

TBo Fawn

Jan 16, 2018
    West Ky
    You’re absolutely right there. Maybe split the loss if owner feels like he should but he shouldn’t take complete loss. Either way his land was tied up for a year. Just bad luck for all. Could always be a different set of circumstances why you can’t hunt any year. Just a chance you take when leasing.

12. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Man I'm glad I don't let deer hunting control my life!

1wildcatfan likes this.
  13. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Yikes! Man I love hunting but would sure go broke quick like that.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  14. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 Fawn

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    Leasing is the dumbest thing ever. I hate it eventually only the rich will be able to Hunt. I seen it done before someone leases land then someone comes along that has more money and there goes there hunting. Eventually the blue collar workers won't be able to hunt. You shouldn't have to lease land to hunt. In years to come only the rich people will be hunting

hoene likes this.
  15. TBo

TBo Fawn

Jan 16, 2018
    West Ky
    You’re right that usually happens but most or a lot of times leasing land is started by non land owners trespassing and simply not asking permission. Access might be granted or it might not but no one has a “right” to use private land for hunting or anything else. Many land owners have to lease to protect themselves from liability and damage. I’m a land owner and I lease some as well. Just saying, many times you can thank the trespassers, poachers, thieves and slob hunters for starting the lease of the private land. I know for a fact that’s why most farms around me are leased. If you don’t lease you can’t control the trespassers and poachers. Not saying you trespass or violate but a few ruin it for everyone. Times have changed unfortunately. This past turkey season was the worst I’ve ever seen with trespassers, poachers and road hunters. Public land is abundant and free for every one. Thousands of acres of free public hunting land around western Kentucky.

timer and KYote-Krusher like this.