Going on my first Coyote hunt...

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by SniperNoor, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Dwyer

Mike Dwyer 6 pointer

Jul 19, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    I'll stick with just observing them for now Jimmie. I don't doubt they are thrilling to hunt but I just don't think it's for me.

2. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    See, thats the thing. There are animals and techniques that aren't for me, but if its legal, who am I to tell another hunter they shouldn't do it? No matter what you hunt, or how you do it, there is another hunter somewhere that doesn't care for it.

3. Mike Dwyer

Mike Dwyer 6 pointer

Jul 19, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    I agree - but just because you respect someone's legal right to do so doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on the ethics of it. Or at least that's what I thought until recently...

4. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    You are welcome to a differing opinion, we all are. But they are just that, opinions, because yours is different doesn't make it better, or the other persons wrong. The tone you set was not to question why, but to damn those that felt differently than you and prove them wrong. I personally like bears, enjoy watching them, they remind me...of me. I don't think I would enjoy a bear hunt but I enjoy listening to tales from those that do. I would never dream of imposing my feelings of bear hunting on someone else who feels differently. That is the very thing the folks that seek to end all hunting are doing every day.

5. Sounds like you got your feelings hurt, we still let you come over west and skybust so pay him no mind! We need to spread the skybusting around this area. I wonder what Mike would have thought about that episode of duck commander yesterday where they were blastin birds 50 yards out, then turned around to see a coyote watching and busted him too!! How did he put it...something about a coyote massacre? haha

6. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    This is off topic....but hey... this whole thread is off topic....except maybe 3 post.

How many of ya'll .....actually use ...or see many others use a 10 guage to duck or goose hunt with any more.

I dont waterfowl hunt...and the Lord only knows I dont need another vice or I'd be divorced. However....I've got many friends & co-workers that do...a couple use to have a lease that joined Ballard. I know their using 3 1/2" 12 guages. I know myself...I had'nt seen anything chambered in 10 for awhile...surely not anyone hunting with one.

Just wondering where in the world this notion came from.

7. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I know one person that uses a 10 gauge.

What would I know, though? :confused:

8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Sounds like you need to be a gettin ahold of one soon.....if you gona partake in one of them skybusting death volleys ..LOL.

Just goes to show .....we all learn something every day.

9. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    I know a couple of people that use 10's, and the one thing I beleive is this. When hunters and fishermen and trappers start passing judgement on each other you are about to law or ethics your way to the house. Boys don't think the anti's don't have their ear to the ground listening for a chance to take it and run. My Dad has gotten many trapping seasons laws in place and tried to do away with others over the years. Any of you remember having to submit a map of each trap to your CO'S? The old man got that one taken care of some years back. Beaver season in feb, before they extended the season as it is now. The one thing he always had to fight was other groups of sportsmen, that thought one law was incringing on their rights as they saw them. The same thing can be said in the U.S. today.We need to live and let live.Enjoy our freedoms and ensure we let our neighbors enjoy their freedoms.

10. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    Dang..I shot a ten gauge once when I was a kid...that was enough. Ole boy needs to come down to the slip sometime and shoot mallards at twenty feet with light load 7.5's with me and Wyle E. of course the mud would probably turn him off considerably.

Typical Louisvillian bullshit. STAY THERE and you won't have to worry about us.

11. So I guess he's out on the super secret punt gun hunt.
    Don't judge me, I am just trying to get back to the roots of the sport.

12. Mike Dwyer

Mike Dwyer 6 pointer

Jul 19, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    When i was in Ballard 10 years ago we went to an outdoor store and saw displays with CASES of 10 gauge shells. i've never seen anything like that in Central Kentucky. We asked two locals what it was all about and they said 10 gauges were popular down there. That's the anecdotal experience I am basing my comment on. So, in addition to being offended that i have a stated a contrary opinion on coyote hunting you all are now offended that i think you hunt with 10 gauges? Really?

I also said in the same thread, "What i think of the hunters of Western Kentucky is that they see a lot more birds than I do, invest in 10 guages and can handle longer shots."
    Even if I am wrong about the gauge - it was a compliment. Seriously, how do you all take offense to that? It's like you guys just want to be offended. Did I miss something? Is this the metrosexual forum? i've never seen so many sensitive outdoorsman in one place.

13. Mike Dwyer

Mike Dwyer 6 pointer

Jul 19, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    Oh Lord. Now it's inter-state rivalry nonsense?

I'll tell you what. I'll stay here and you all can return our tax revenue. Seem like a fair deal?

14. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Hey guys, this isn't the first fellow like this I have dealt with. I agree he went at getting his answers the wrong way, but I believe this is enough.

There are a lot of people out there that just cannot get their mind around what we do or the why of it. If your going to do this sport you have to learn to deal with this. Not all are going to be as out spoken as Mr Dwyer. And some are going to be worse, blaming you for AR problems. One that really got to me many years ago was the guy raising hell about the pics folks posted being too graphic. He was researching and found the website by a post on an AR WEBSITE where they had taken pics out of context to use against us.

I know that I need to go back and upgrade all my old files, if they can even be found anymore. I now realize that some of it is dumped after so long, espescailly newspaper articles. And some search engines are not even old enough to contain a link to some of the older stuff. Crap I went through pages of stuff the other night finding nothing older than 2008 for crying out loud. The forum where I used to pick Ed Sceery's brain and work him into a tizzy no longer even exist's !! Been dead and gone for ten years.

You should try dealing with poeple that have been brainwashed by AR misinformation. People that don't hunt nor realy care about animal rights until they are worked up with a bunch of pics and pure bull crap. Been there and done that. You don't change their minds by going off half cocked either. You just prove the AR'S right as far as these people are concerned. I even found a newspaper in Cape Cod so biased it bashed a police officer for taking out a coyote that had just attacked a four year old and set him to a hospital. And yet it aplauded a biologist that was so full of pure BS it wasn't even funny.

Just take a chill pill , calm down and think about it is all I am saying. Jimmie

15. Mike Dwyer

Mike Dwyer 6 pointer

Jul 19, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    We vacationed on a little island in New Hampshire a couple of weeks ago. With the exception of one other family all of our fellow campers were from New England. I went to a book talk one morning and the subject was the enviroment. I was the only attendee that lived south of Boston. When I told them I was a hunter and the way i supported enviromental causes was to give my time and money to wildlife management - I braced for a negative reaction. Instead I got a lot of friendly questions and compliments because they just don't hear people talk like that up in that part of the country. Luckily these folks were open-minded to contrary ideas. We had one of the best conversations I have had in a long time. I don't know if I changed any minds but as I told them, my goal is to be a good ambassador for our sport because I belive that is the only way we will preserve it and encourage new people to give it a try.

I realize that I came onto this forum with guns a'blazing but that is my style. I'm sorry if that upset everyone but I just never thought a contrary opinion from a fellow hunter would offend so many people.

Jimmie - Your comments have done more to change my mind on coyote hunting than anything I have read in years and that's the honest truth. I appreciate your tone even more in light of the way this whole conversation went down. So thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.