Going on my first Coyote hunt...

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by SniperNoor, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

That has been a project of hte state since the winter of 77-78. They have been fighting a losiing battle for the most part. Farmers must pay hte banker and make a living. Farming practices still need much change. If each landowner does small things it can make a diference. Just the addition of brushpiles on my small acreage has increased rabbit numbers. Leaving marginal ground to wildlife habitat is also a good start. It makes seed for rodents as well as birds.

As for coyote's, I still fight for expanding hunting and trapping oportunities. Some form of night hunting of coyote would increase the success rate of hunters imensely, I know this for a fact, as we had a form of it at one time for coyote only.

A strong rise in fur prices would do hte state more good in slowing or reducing the predator population in this state more than anything they could do . Forget bounties, they are not economically feasable. Jimmie

2. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Feel free to keep the debate/argument going....but please lets keep it clean, and knock of the insults and calling names....Like so many threads in the past, this one is going down the same path.

3. Mike Dwyer

Mike Dwyer 6 pointer

Jul 19, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    I agree. My friends that have acerage have done very minor things to their property to achieve great results for rabbits. Quail is a different story and I truly feel that one may not be worth the time or money. For whatever reason they just can't seem to get a really solid foothold. We see/hear covies and get opportunities to shoot them occassionally and then they just vanish. Frustrating.

So I get that but are you saying they are a direct obstacle to increasing small game populations or would you say they are ancillary? I'm asking because it seems like some people think they hurt deer, some people think they hurt small game and others seem to believe they have no impact at all.

Maybe the solution for coyotes is a county-by-county policy. Or with their range maybe that doesn't make sense.

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    So now..... after you have already alienated the majority of membership on this site....just to keep track...

1.Coyote / predator hunting in general is unethical.....which I surmise that takes in coonhunters and trappers.
    2. Bow fishing then is classified as unethical.
    3. This leads me to think ...with your opinion.... that the issuing of nusance or preditation permits by KDF&WR's is also unethical.

Now....we move on to "regional" unethical hunters....which your implying " Western Ky" water fowlers are also unethical in comparrison to your hunting.

Again....its amazing to discuss things with Mr. Perfect Hunter. He does no wrong....looks & talks down to everyone because he does not have the stomach to admit he's got blood on his hands as well. He states "I've never lost a goose, duck or dove....under no certain terms. Then only recants to quack ...."knowingly" lost or crippled a bird. Come on...have the nads to come out and say it....we all know it happens to everyone thats been in the field long enough....you dont have to lie about it. What do you think happens to those "unknowingly" crippled and lethal injured birds??? They sure as he!! dont fly to the local emergency room for treatment....they die & rot... and your not consuming them. You killed them for no reason according ...totally against what your telling us your ethics are.

Theres an old saying about "casting stones in glass houses"..... you might be served to understand the meaning.

With that said..... I've got better things to do than keep debating this subject. Just know..... I'll smoke a few yotes specifically in your honor and post the pictures for you to look at....so be sure to check back regularly.

5. Mike Dwyer

Mike Dwyer 6 pointer

Jul 19, 2011
    Louisville, KY

*sigh*

1) I never said that. I said I don't believe it's ethical to kill an animal for no other reason than entertainment. Killing coyotes in areas where they are causing problems is fine. Nuance JD...nuance.

2) Only if you are not using the fish. Are you not using the fish you kill? Maybe you need to watch Kentucky Afield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWYm_inOAgg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Wcy-xILSQ&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po2JUlQwE-o&feature=related

What I said about Western KY hunters is that by comparison my 'skybusting' is very tame and certainly not unethical, as you implied.

And to speak to my testicular fortitude: I came onto a forum of my fellow KY hunters and was willing to be honest about my ethical problems concerning a certain aspect of our sport. I did it under my own name, not some cute chatboard alias. I linked to my blog where you can read my opinion on literally hundreds of different issues (as you know since my site meter shows you've been busy in my archives for the last couple of days). You can read about me having all kinds of bad days in the field. I talked about my choice to use an e-collar with my lab and the ethics behind that choice. Do you really believe that if I had ever knowingly lost a cripple that I wouldn't be honest about that too? You want to believe I am a liar because that would make it easier to hate me for disagreeing with your choice of entertainment. If that makes you feel better then go ahead.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  6. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Shoot me an address and I'll ship you the next ton of invasive Asian carp that I shoot. That way they won't go to waste and you can sleep better at night.

I am glad to see what you think of the waterfowl hunters of Western Kentucky, also. We should all take note of how it is done by a skilled Canada goose "pass shooter".

7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Oh...... I feel fine. I dont have to make moral excuses or ethical justification to .....squeeze the trigger...release an arrow...or catch a fish...then turn it loose.

I abide by our hunting laws & regulations, manage property we own for the sole purpose of wildlife. I have in the past have been active in many wildlife related organizations and have went to bat for things I believed in....which many enjoy the benefits now from those endevors.

I've lived and hunted here in Ky my whole life....as did my family before I ever came along. Raised a daughter that loves to hunt and outdoor activities in general. Have helped her friends experience the same and in many circumstances they might not have understood the enjoyment of hunting & fishing.

So again.... when I kill a yote...I feel just fine....not the first regret. I'm well within the legal bounds to do so.

8. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

My thoughts from the beginning.....

9. Don't worry quack, yours truly has invaded the eastern part of the state. I'm spreading the sky busting styles of us westerners throughout Louisville as I type. Pretty soon these boys will be flinging steel at birds past 30 yards. Heck, before you know it they will be taking shots like the youth of western ky!

10. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

You aren't understanding the coyote's perspective. It is an oportunistic as well as omnivorous feeder. Anything and every thing is on the menu depending on avalability. Nobody ever really understands it until they have spent a half day tracking a hunting pair through the snow. Right now tops is grasshoppers for the pups, easily obtained tasty and high in protien. But an adult may move along eating hoppers here, mice in hte next field, quail eggs in another and so on, A few ears of sweetcorn or a watermelon at Farmer browns place, all in one day. What ever is easiest to obtain at the time. They find and eat fawns primarily because of that milk turd they drop. The fawn has no strong odor for some time but that turd smells of milk making it easier to find if the coyote gets wind of it. Even my house dog can find a quail on hte nest, he won't catch her but for a short time her eggs are vulnerable.

A huntign coyote moves in a zig zag pattern quartering into the wind. They do not miss much with that nose of theirs. And lets throw in skunks, coons and opossums all doing hte same thing each night. All predator numbers are very high now because of low fur prices. The state even dropped the bag limit on coons they imposed back in hte early eigthties because of this. And should any animal reach levels that are not beneficial, hte state can ,and has, put limits on them. So any ground nesting bird is in high danger at all times. If htey can't raise a clutch of eggs numbers slowly decline. Around here one out of six pair of quail might raise a covy. And I have no clue and to how many rabbits make it, it's not many.

If we can't get farmers to make major changes in farming practices, we have to work on what we can to improve small game numbers. This means harvesting the excess predator numbers each year. Some fellows have learned they can call coons as well as coyote,and enjoy it imensely, I know I do. But the most detrimental of all these is hte coyote because of it's habits and constantly growing numbers. It even has an affect on furbearer numbers, remember everything is on hte coyote menu.Coons are the only furbearer not impacted by coyotes. Their numbers rise and fall on a regular basis , mainly because of diseases.

With the animal rights movement out there, I don't see fur prices improving any time in hte future. And as long as the price of fur is down there will be little if any drop in predator numbers without we expand this sport. Jimmie

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  11. Mike Dwyer

Mike Dwyer 6 pointer

Jul 19, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    What i think of the hunters of Western Kentucky is that they see a lot more birds than I do, invest in 10 guages and can handle longer shots. That's what i mean when i say that what I do is tame by comparison. How hard was that to understand?

12. Mike Dwyer

Mike Dwyer 6 pointer

Jul 19, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    I don't recall suggesting otherwise.

13. Mike Dwyer

Mike Dwyer 6 pointer

Jul 19, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    Fair enough - that answers my question.

14. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Then get out there and try it. You might even get hooked on hte challenge like hte rest of us . Jimmie

15. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    Mike Dwyer must be one of the elite waterfowlers that camp out on 6 mile island and shoots the park ducks......Western Kentucky skybusting.....thats a good one....go back to the cave,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.