Going for yotes for the first time, HELP!!

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by shooter, Jan 13, 2004.

1. shooter

shooter Fawn

Jan 13, 2004
    Belfry, Ky, USA.
    Just found this site today, highly impressed! You guys seem to know what your talking about.
    Here's the thing my brother-in-law and myself are going yote hunting for the first time and we are both clueless. So I started pounded away on the net. We don't even know where to start, anyone got any absolutely do's and don't. How about call's? Camo? Cover? Ballistics?
    That should get us started.
    I'm from eastern ky and were eat up with yotes, want to thin out the numbers abit.
    Thanks,
    Shooter

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Shooter, I ain't a big yote hunter, but I've killed a many foxes. Seeing where you are from, I would use a dying rabbit call at a low volume. I would set in the mouth of a hollow and carry a 12 guage load with copper plated #4

3. Injun 22-250

Injun 22-250 Fawn

Oct 5, 2003
    Philpot, Ky., USA.
    I am definetly not an expert, I can just tell you how I hunt, but people will probably see a whole lot wrong with that.The wind is the main thing,keep a shot downwind.Also, if you can,and I don't know if living in the city will make a difference in this,hang your clothes outside the day before you hunt to let them air out.As far as camo,just like turkey hunting.If you get a call,for this time of year,get an open reed.It will not freeze-up. You don't have to sound exactly like a dying anything.They are curious and I believe if you sound like something in trouble, They'll check it out.The last piece of advice,go to Predator Masters forum "calling in the east" Good luck and hope you "jam up" some dogs!

4. Tim Herald

Tim Herald 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2001
    Lex., KY.
    Up there, I would hunt old strip jobs where you can get them out in the open.

Good Hunting...Tim H.

5. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

http://www.predatormasters.com

Go to the calling in the east forum and look for the thread calling sounds and tactics. Its about nine pages long and takes quite some time to read. But it's the book on predator calling. Everything you want to know is in that thread.Jimmie

6. varmiterkid

varmiterkid Spike

Jan 15, 2004
    pennsylvania.
    hey i am not going to tell you what kind of gun to use cus i don't kno wut u have. if u want to save hid a smaller bullet is better if u just wanna knock the s.o.b down then use ur deer gun. who ever is calling should set the other man up downwind. camo should def. be used from head to toe. sit in the shade if u can. make sure u have room to shoot when u pick ur stand and once u get there give it a couple of min to claim down. u might want to use a rabbit in destress call and or a howler. do burst of calling for short periods of time let it quiet down and hit it again varmit al's is a great place to go for more info on the sounds and stuff. coyotes and tuff and smart so don;t give up if u don't have ne luck stick w/ it! once u get one you'll be hooked

7. varmiterkid

varmiterkid Spike

Jan 15, 2004
    pennsylvania.
    my fav. caliber is the 223 for these animals it knocks them down and dosen't mess the hid up

mike dehaveen