Glutton for punishment/ Back into boat ownership.

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by deadaim, Jan 20, 2011.

1. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    lol not a bad Idea.......

2. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Looks like the makings for a pontoon wing ding. I'll bring the wings and smoker.

3. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Sounds like a plan Keith.........I will defiantly have to go with the yellow short bus theme :) I took the seats out last night I'm cleaning them up and painting them white. I cant afford new pontoon furniture right now. I'm taking a few out to have more open space for a livewell/bait station, cooler and storage box. What trolling motor do you guys recommend ? I'm torn between the Motorguide wireless 75 LB thrust or the MinnKota 70 lb thrust V2..........I like the V2 because I can add to it ( hand remote, GPS Autopilot)as I have more funds. Seems like the reviews on the motorguide are iffy on quality both are pretty close on price.

4. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Guys on BFC (bowfishing country) burn up Motorguides quickly. My buddy has a minnkota 40lb on his grizzly. I've ran that thing into every rock and stump in the Green River, and broke the top off the thing...still runs like a champ, but its bent bad! Never had a problem out of it though!

5. mrdux

mrdux Guest

For a boat that size I would never consider anything less than 80 pound thrust but would probably hold out for a 101 pound MinnKota Terrova. They are worth every $.01. My Terrova 80 with iPilot is the best $$ I have ever spent on fishing equipment.

6. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Well she is coming along between rainstorms. I had to rewire the whole boat. I installed a switch panel and fuses. I painted it inside and out. Removed the seats and painted a few of the to use. I want to keep it open. I installed an 80 pound thrust minn Kota . Im putting a two seat holder from my old boat in the back for trolling i need to install my pole holders and live well and ill be ready for some night fishing .

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373775149.896614.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373775204.970460.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373775280.254796.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  7. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Looking good, Les.

Bad camera angle or does it need a prop?

8. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    No bad angle it has a prop. I replaced the cranking battery today because it was five years old and not taking a charge well. It's another 70 bucks but there is nothing that ticks me off more than a ruined fishing trip due to battery issues. So she has all new battery's and wiring now. I'm installing my pole holders and bass seats this week and taking it out for some night fishing next weekend sometime.

9. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    looks like the top right hand lobe of the prop is missing a chunk? Like the blade is broken? The new wiring will be your friend.

10. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Its all there and its not broken. It is nicked up. I may replace it down the road but it did fine when I took it out to test it.

11. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    That could be an epic bowfishing boat!

12. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    Looks good! Any time you need a partner just holler at me and I'll load up my fishing junk lol!

13. B Hicks

B Hicks 12 pointer

Sep 29, 2006
    Lancaster, KY
    I'll probably be missing my pontoon next spring. Someone wanted it more than I did today.

14. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Easy come Easy go you may find a better deal on one if you decide you want another. I took mine out for a couple of days this week and I must say there are some things I love about them and some things I hate. I got into some pretty good waves and wind SAT and had to slow that sucker way down coming across the lake the flexing takes some getting used to. I am really thinking about getting rid of the 115 motor and putting a 60 on the boat. I'm not in a race when fishing and would take fuel economy over speed any day and especially in the pontoon. Fishing in the wind can be a challenge but with anchors and drift socks I managed to get it to do what I needed. The thing I hate most is hauling it to the lake I'm really thinking about just putting it in a slip and leaving it. Things I love is all the room and comfort.

15. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    I would like to have a pontoon, but like you, I would hate to haul that beast anywhere.