Glutton for punishment/ Back into boat ownership.

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by deadaim, Jan 20, 2011.

1. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Glutton for punishment/ Boat remodel finished ( for now)

After pricing new boats and almost pulling the trigger on a 23,000 dollar 190 Tracker with a twenty year loan I backed up and decided to go another rout. I decided for a project boat for my son and I to work on. It is a 2000 185 pro Tracker special addition with a 60 HP mercury. Motor is good boat stays dry and the floors are solid. It needs some cosmetic work like carpet cleaned, seats repaired/replaced and cleaned up. The decal on the boat is pealing off so I will get a new one from EBAY or put the camowrap on it. I think I got it at a good price for 3500 bucks. I priced 18 foot hulls new that were more than that. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. 7mmx2

7mmx2 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2007
    KY
    Looks like fun times will be had!

3. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    I sure would like to get working on it but its setting out back covered up with 3 inches of snow.......god I hate winter.......I need to clean out the garage this weekend and get started....anyone know a good way to get the boat off the trailor ? other than the lake that is :)

4. hunternky

hunternky 6 pointer

Jun 9, 2009
    Boone County
    I have owned 2 boats and the bass tracker was my favorite they do back there product. If i was ever to buy another one bass tracker it would be. Looks like you have a good one there.

5. bnt5

bnt5 8 pointer

Dec 21, 2004
    Burlington KY
    I think there are some videos on you tube about getting a boat off the trailer and into drydock, basically you are jacking up the boat and placing supports underneath as the trailer moves out. Not an easy or quick process, unless you can jack up the back and block and tackle the front up, pull the trailer out and then let down the front onto boat stands. Out of curiosity why would you take the boat off the trailer if it only needs cosmetic work done?

6. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    I need to get the old decals off the sides and install new ones or camo wrap the boat . It would be a job with the trailor bunks in the way. I guess I could just jack up one side of the boat at a time while its on the trailor if I did it carfully to not damage the hull...

7. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Ok so far an 80 dollar cranking battery and a seat pedistal base........and im just starting :)

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Ever heard the saying.....a boat is a hole in the water you pour money into ?

Good luck getting it fixed up, looks like you got a good package to start with.

9. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Just don't forget to undo all your tie downs when you start jacking it!

10. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    If the beams in your garage are strong enough, how about two or three come-alongs to pull it up off the trailer and then block it? Don't know, maybe.

11. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okay I have it this far now I need to clean the rest off with acetone or something. Then I have to decide if Im going back with the tracker stickers or just go with Camo wrap.........Im thinking Camo wrap would be cool if I can apply it without screwing it up.......

12. lsmerrill

lsmerrill Spike

Feb 27, 2006
    Crittenden Co.
    I would clean it with toon brite or sharkhide>>>>

13. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    I'd like to do the bottom of my 175 that way. What did you use to clean the hull?

14. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Mepps I just removed the decals with a heat gun and washed it with soap and water. Next I'm going to clean it with toon brite from bass pro and then wash it down. Then I hit the sides with alcohol and after it dries I'm putting on some 3M Camo sheets in Reeltree Hardwoods hd. Or apply new tracker decals if I can find them at a MUCH better price than the local dealer gave me.......I should just clean it and leave it if I was smart..........lots of trees to scratch it in my home lake of Cedar Creek

15. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Cool, mine needs some attention, the hull is oxidizing pretty good. It's not damaging it really, it just looks bad. I'd love to replace my Bass with Gill and have a GillTracker instead.