Ginseng seeds are looking good

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Hoosier Sasquatch, Aug 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    I checked dad's "pet" four prong ginseng. The seeds will be red by the end of the month. Eventually I want to do a detailed video on seed collection and replanting.

2. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    MY wife and I were having a discussion the other day about Ginseng. Is it possible to transplant a plant and get it to live? What about growing the seeds in a float bed like tobacco plants? These were just things we were talking about and didn't have a clue if it could be done or even if it was legal to do.

JR in KY likes this.
  3. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I don’t think it’s legal in Ky. ,but yes they can be transplanted ,I knew people ,that are not around anymore, use to transplant a few and sow seeds to get them started .Don’t know nothing about float beds, it would probably be called cultivated, not worth as much, as wild .

barney and JR in KY like this.
  4. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    My dad transplanted smaller plants and had really good results.

barney likes this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I knew a guy who planted a ginseng root in a pot, he said he had it for 12 years. He said a couple of years it didn't come up in the spring and he thought it had died, but he said the following spring it would come up again. He planted it from a harvested 3 prong root, he says most years it comes up as a 3 prong, but a few years it has been a 4 prong.

You can buy stratified ginseng seeds to plant. I sowed a bed of it many years ago and it germinated very well. I wish now that I hadn't pilfered it mixing it in with wild Seng.

6. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    got some hillsides here, just most face east or west, got one spot that faces south. i think the north side hill is where you want to plant them..

barney likes this.
  7. Brody

Brody 6 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    I've found it on all sides of the hill before. North and east seems to be the best.

barney likes this.
  8. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    Not sure about Kentucky...but the way I read Indiana's regs, if you plant any seeds in the original location, transplanting is legal. After all, digging it up is digging it up. The seeds are best planted immediately, and do not germinate the next spring but rather the year after. As I understand it, they do not store well, though I am no expert on this by any means.