Giant Puffballs

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Hoosier Sasquatch, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    Do you guys see these? They seem numerous this year.

HuntressOfLight and Brody like this.
  2. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    i see them frequently in cow pastures or grassy areas. If you get them when they are really firm and new above the ground the they are delicious to eat. Meat should be solid white and very firm

If there is a yellow ( or brownish orange) part in the meat mushroom I will not eat them. Slice thin like a ritz cracker. cut in to pieces about the size of the ritz cracker or jar lids. Brown in butter. Salt and pepper. Good eating.

As always, Be very careful to properly ID the balls as puff ball mushrooms as misidentified mushrooms can poison you if eat the wrong ones.

Hoosier Sasquatch likes this.
  3. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Nice find, nice video as always. I found a tiny bolete Friday and will be checking it again this morning. Yesterday while weeding, I found many of one of my favorites to photograph, Bird's Nest. Chiggers discovered me in the process, so I could not obtain afternoon nor night shots. I mixed up some Seven at dusk and went to town with all, spraying everything in sight except for actual flower blooms in hopes of managing some better shots throughout today.

4. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I need to stumble upon a few of these!

Hoosier Sasquatch likes this.
  5. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    One good thing about them is that they are easy to spot!