Giant 8 pointers

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyepic16, Aug 10, 2017.

1. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Terrible picture but you get the idea. I think I only caught 19 of them in the picture.

rsz_img_7095[1].jpg

2. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I use to work for RJ Corman and we done a lot of work over in Logan County in the 90's. I use to be amazed at the deer that that part of the state had compared Mason,Lewis and Fleming

3. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    what county are you in?

4. Tman6493

Tman6493 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    Not a bachelor group more like a bachelor party

5. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Well it's not where I live or do most of my hunting but that picture is from a farm in Trigg County.

6. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Im in adair and i can remember when the fields looked like thst here. it seems we are having a hard time bouncing back from the ehd in 07 and also we had a extra week of gun season for a couple yrs that really put the smack on a bunch of deer.

7. Zforzachariah

Zforzachariah Spike

Jul 7, 2017
    East BumbleF
    Is there a feed the hungry program anywhere nearby? Or maybe a deer cooler that helps the less fortunate (although sometimes just lazy non working) that you could donate the meat to? I wouldn't mind helping thin out any does with the old stick and string either :cool:

8. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    [​IMG]

I had this one around for several years now. I think he's 5 or 6 now. I guess him at 145 or so. I've never seen him other than in cameras though. I may try him if he does slip up this year[​IMG] .

9. RDL

RDL Fawn

Jul 14, 2017
    georgia
    Hope you get him. He's a stud. That deer will easily be in the upper 150's.

10. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    I agree that field judging age is a guessing game at best in a lot of instances, and lots of folks aren't very good at it. I pretty much adhere to Early Bird's practice of trying to pass bucks I think are young.

In aging deer on the hoof, Sometimes you're right, and sometimes you're not. You definitely get better with practice over time. Like Early Bird, I actively try to manage the buck harvest (except for kids) on our farm to bucks that I think are 4 or older. If I get a buck picture of a deer I think is young and has potential, I'll circulate the picture and tell the hunters not to shoot them. I'm not managing our farm under a "It's your tag, shoot what makes you happy" philosophy.

Cameras help because you can picture the same bucks from one year to the next. My first recurve buck was a 6 (maybe 7) year old 8 pointer. I had him on film for 4 straight years. If I recall, he scored something like 139". He was just as big as a 3 year old as he was as a 6 year old both in the body as the rack, and if i hadn't had him on film for 4 years, I probably would have guessed him at 3 when I shot him. I mention this, because deer come in lots of shapes and sizes. A Huge bodied buck might be young but just have plus-size genes kind of like Shaquille O'Neal when he played at LSU.

But I've witnessed enough tremendous jumps in size from year one to year 2 from "young" bucks that I put on our "no kill" list to make me believe I'm getting at least some of my guesses right. Last year, I "no kill" listed a 9 pointer that likely would have scored in the low to mid-140's, because I thought he was 3 last year (or maybe even 2). I never saw him while hunting, but 1-2 guys passed on him that had the opportunity to shoot him. I'm still not 100% convinced he's 4 this year, but he's big enough that there's no way I could pass him even if he is 3. I'll just have to live with being a hypocrite.

Oops. To answer the original question, I'd rather shoot a 150" 8 pointer over a 160" 12 pointer. And I've shot both.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  11. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    I haven't had the chance to shoot anything 150+. I'll take either for now.