Getting Someone Started Into Bow Hunting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by KnoxCoDeerHunter, Sep 2, 2008.

1. KnoxCoDeerHunter

KnoxCoDeerHunter 6 pointer

Nov 13, 2006
    Knox County
    Just wanted some tips on getting someone started bow hunting. Such as how would you set them up and stuff. My finace has been shooting a bow for quite some time now and shes pretty darn good.She has never been hunting before in her entire life though. This year she is wanting to get into the woods and try to take a deer for her self. Only thing is she is scared of heights. I was thinking about setting her set up in a ground blind somewhere. Anyone got any tips and stuff?

thanks alot

2. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

You've got a lot of challenges ahead.

When I got KYHillChick into archery, I took her up to an archery store. They got her all set up, and the guys at the range did a lot to help her with her form. You'll find guys are VERY helpful when a chick shows up at the range. I just stood back and let it happen. She did okay for a while, but lost heart-- couldn't stand the idea of losing arrows.

Be ready to spend time with her in the field. My first wife was an excellent shot, and a good hunter, but I think she lost interest in it after she realized bowhunting was more of a solitary thing than the bird hunting, squirrel hunting, and so forth that she had been into before we married. Set aside some time for yourself and some time for her.

Some women are into hunting for its own sake. Some are into it, because you're into it. Some act like they're into it, but really aren't. Usually it's hard to tell the difference, and it is often times hard for them to tell the difference for themselves. Usually when the weather gets cold, you both figure out which one of these is your woman.

BTW: KYHillChick went through her archery phase and it passed. Then one day, I convinced her to try a rifle, and she took to it. I bought her a Savage 110 in 30-06 and she now loves plinking at milk jugs at 450 yards.