Getting old is hard...

zone1

8 pointer
Jan 3, 2011
Only have one brother left. Time goes by so quick and now I am at the top of the list. Have had good health and still fish and play golf. Lost my hunting buddies and just gave it up about 3 years ago. Our weekly poker game went from 7 down to two of us still alive. Have only one guy to play golf with. Lost my fishing partner and now fish with a new one but it's not the same.

Dark Cloud

12 pointer
Aug 14, 2009
Lawrence Co.
Huh??
I just saw I posted 3 years ago on this thread when I was 69 years old. I am just Proud to be here 3 years later when I am 72 now.
All the "Old" folks I knew are already in the cemetery.
We are but a Whisp of Vapor in Time. Here for a blink....then gone.
Me too, Amen

reivertom

12 pointer
Dec 17, 2007
Greenup Co.
Just remember, if you want to stay productive, do this little trick I do.... If you walk into the garage, den, or any other room, and you can't remember why you went there, look around and find something to do. This way things will get done and you wouldn't have wasted a trip. Sometimes in the middle of the task, you remember why you went in there in the first place, but not always.....Oh yeah....it only gets worse...

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
We buried Glenn today. Such a fine man. His son, my BBF, did his funeral. It was fantastic. I don't know how Ron did it. He got choked up a couple of times, but he delivered an incredible eulogy for his father. No way in hell I could have done that. I would be a blubbering mess three words in. Ron told me that he has been preparing for this for 8 years. Glenn had a heart attack on July 13, 2013. That was Ron's 50th birthday. They didn't think he'd survive that. Ron said he began writing his eulogy in the waiting room of the hospital then......

Ataulbe1

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2017
Estill County
I'm 47, lost my mom almost 30 years ago and my dad 10. If your parents are still around never forget how lucky you are.
This... I'm only 34 and have my mom and 3 uncles left. Everyone else is gone. Took a drive around the old farm this morning for the first time in several years. Saw all the old places my uncles and grandparents used to own and live on. Starting to understand how it feels to get older.

Everything looked different. The land I knew like the back of my hand and spent my youth on, had mostly changed. With people I didn't know living there and looking at me sideways for driving through. Time sure goes quick and things can change fast.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Getting old always sucks. My dear ol Grandpa keeled over this morning, at 92yo. We ain't bitching, he outlived every previous man in our family by 11 years. Damn cancer ended up getting that tough old codger. He went from a 240 pound mountain of a man, to less than 100 pounds in 9 months. Eff cancer. It's no way to go. After seeing it too many times, I can guarantee I'll never die of cancer....

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
It’s tough realizing that you are the same age as old people. But I count every day I get a blessing! Kidney transplant 20 years ago! Cancer in 2016, again in 2019, and currently 4th stage incurable according to my Doctor. I still hunt with my stickbow, preach every week, and enjoy what I am given. Dying isn’t the bad part, it’s what comes afterward, so get prepared friends! I do a lot of funerals of folks much younger and healthier than myself!

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Getting old always sucks. My dear ol Grandpa keeled over this morning, at 92yo. We ain't bitching, he outlived every previous man in our family by 11 years. Damn cancer ended up getting that tough old codger. He went from a 240 pound mountain of a man, to less than 100 pounds in 9 months. Eff cancer. It's no way to go. After seeing it too many times, I can guarantee I'll never die of cancer....
So sorry.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
It’s tough realizing that you are the same age as old people. But I count every day I get a blessing! Kidney transplant 20 years ago! Cancer in 2016, again in 2019, and currently 4th stage incurable according to my Doctor. I still hunt with my stickbow, preach every week, and enjoy what I am given. Dying isn’t the bad part, it’s what comes afterward, so get prepared friends! I do a lot of funerals of folks much younger and healthier than myself!
Keep grinding!

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
I can attest this man embraces life, as a child of the lord ! Lotsa fun to be around, lives his heaven here on Earth, and will be rewarded with even better when his time here is over, a purty good egg. Just be warned, if you cook a campfire meal, he will find it ! Hey Carp, aint there sumthin’ in the good book about gluttony???? Jes sayin’ …….

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Im 59, just lost an aunt sunday. I have 2 surviving aunts. Parents, grandparents, gone for 20 plus years. I see obituaries of people my age every day. Retiring in Febuary, 12 years dairy farming, and 30 years of 12 hour swing shift, its time to enjoy the fruits of my labor. Live while you can, smell the roses, tomorrow is not promised.
Sorry for your loss. Enjoy your retirement. I'm going part time in 4 years. Just to keep insurance until eligible for medicare...... Already counting down the days.

Latest posts