Getting old is hard...

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I think the worst thing about getting older is seeing friends and family dying. My grand parents are long gone, most of my aunts uncles and some of my cousins are gone. I have not lost many friends yet but its coming.

I’ve lost lots of relatives that I didn’t really know that well. My mom and dad knew them because they were older and we lost like 15 in a 17 month span. Losing friends is the toughest IMO. Just lost a friend 2 yrs older than me to cancer in early Nov. Working in public schools for 22 years, not a year goes by that we don’t at least lose one or more members of our student body or recently graduated students and it’s never easy. Never easy when it’s kids or young people.

timer

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2013
La Grange
I've always put in a lot of hours....I'm sure most of you on here understand what I mean. When the kids were small, I would go into the Holiday Season wore-out from work. And then I'd have to drive hundreds of miles during the Holidays to take the kids to see the grandparents and aunts and uncles....I enjoyed visiting with everyone, but November and December weekends were all full of trips we had to make. I'm a little ashamed to say that I dreaded all the drives - and although she never said anything, I know my wife did too.

Now everyone we used to take the kids to see is gone. I wish for the days when I used to have to make the long drives.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I've always put in a lot of hours....I'm sure most of you on here understand what I mean. When the kids were small, I would go into the Holiday Season wore-out from work. And then I'd have to drive hundreds of miles during the Holidays to take the kids to see the grandparents and aunts and uncles....I enjoyed visiting with everyone, but November and December weekends were all full of trips we had to make. I'm a little ashamed to say that I dreaded all the drives - and although she never said anything, I know my wife did too.

Now everyone we used to take the kids to see is gone. I wish for the days when I used to have to make the long drives.
I hear you. When we got married, I had all of my grandparents, and my wife had both grandmothers. Christmas eve and day were marathons. By the time our daughter was born, we were down to one grandmother each, and mine was in nursing home, unresponsive. What I wouldn't give to still be making those drives all over again.

littlebear

12 pointer
Aug 21, 2007
the woods
All my grandparents are gone. My dad who was my best friend passed 16yrs ago at Christmas. That makes the holidays very rough for me. What I would give to spend one good day with my dad again. My mother is still alive but she has been having numerous health issues last several years. For ones that still have a parent alive you should try to talk or see them everyday because one day they will not be there for you.

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
I figured on raising Cows till I was about 78.
But.
I'm 69 and Feel NOW the way I thought I would feel when 78.
I have only a couple relatives (besides my 3 boys) that aren't in the graveyard And that really makes a feller feel old.
Tomar isn't guaranteed. Just put one foot in front of the other.

dirtstalker

12 pointer
Nov 20, 2009
Clay County
Sorry for your loss!
I read all the post on this and got a weird feeling seeing Duster had replied in it back several yrs ago, rest in peace old friends and acquaintance, life is short live it while it's here.
I was liking several post..then I seen dusters and was like...wth?? Then realized it was a 3 yrbold thread.

I'm still rather young compared to alot..turned 36 this year. I have alot of very close family members though that are older. None less than 70..all on my moms side. Never have known my dad or none of his folks. Never had any grandparents. Several of my uncles took the role/ place of dad and granddad over the years. All but 3 of them are gone now..and I miss them 5 fellers alot. My mom turned 80 this year..still in fairly good health overall..but she is going downhill. I will be an absolute mess when she does go..and I already know that. Thankfully, I live right next to her..and visit just about everyday, if even for a few minutes. Live just down the road from the rest of her family that I'm close to, so I see them regularly as well. sometimes I catch myself not being thankful for what they have done for me over the years. I try to make it a point to visit each of them at least once a month..because I know at sometime..they wont be around to visit. And unfortunately..that's going to be sooner rather than later.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I used to work a farm for an old man. He just passed away, was 97. We’d go into town for a cup of coffee and drive by the cemetery and he’d say, I got more friends in there than out here. He was half joking but it always ended in a long pause.

Latest posts