Getting old is hard...

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I'm 55. I still have both parents, but mom is in a nursing home since the stroke 2.5 years ago. Dad is a freak of nature at 82, still going strong. We killed 6 rabbits Saturday, and he walks a mile, sometimes 2, everyday he doesn't go hunting or fishing. We just buried my best friend's (Keith) mom today. Such a sweet soul, died on her birthday at 80. Keith's dad is 84, and doing pretty well. My other best friend's (Ron) dad is dealing with cancer(ultimately terminal, but he's been doing pretty well), and had a heart attack last night. He's 78. Had 2 stents today. Ron's mom is also 78, and has been in and out of the hospital 3 times in the last 3 weeks. My wife is 56, and we have both of her parents. They're in their 80's too, and doing pretty well. Most of my friends still have both parents, all of my friends have at least one parent living. Just buried my aunt last month. Me, my wife, and my friends are going to deal with a lot of death over the next 5 years or so. Ya'll hug your elder family members. Enjoy them while you still can.

00noturkey

12 pointer
Oct 31, 2011
High Grove
i cant add anything to this. i've had 4 strokes. so what. but, what i have learned over the years,, its best to spend time with those you like, while that are alive, then to spent tribute to them, when they are gone. i am, minus a lot of people. after they are gone, it dont matter. when i am gone, i could care less about who went to my funeral. i figure i should pull a fast one, get cremated, have my ashes scattered. before they even know i'm gone.
you should enjoy the company of those you care about, no matter what age.. never know when those will cross over to the other side, no matter what age.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I coached HS basketball for many years and every year before we took time off for Thanksgiving and Christmas I’d give my “holiday speech”. Basically I’d tell them to spend quality time with their parents and cheek pinching grandparents as well as other family because they weren’t always going to be there. I’d tell them to stay off the cell phones and video games and hang with those folks. They may not have listened then but I’ll bet they deliver the same message to their kids when they’re my age.

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
I hear ya... I'm 53 and lost my parents more than 15 years ago, never knew either of my grandfathers (they died before I was born), lost one grandmother when I was just a kid, and the other about 20 years ago. All my aunts & uncles have been gone for years as well. Appreciate 'em while you've got 'em, folks, because they won't always be there.

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
Lots of wisdom in this thread. Had an uncle pass away on Christmas Day. This life is full of sorrow but it’s only short that we have to serve the Lord and prepare for the next life. If you’re in Christ then you have the surety of the joy that is to come. If not, then you need to get right with Him and get busy serving. I love my family and friends and want to have the best quality of life I can with them as long as I can, but if we’re not serving Christ, then it’s all in vain.

Nock

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2012
Butler co
Lost mom two years ago I was just 34. She had ALS and only lived 6 months after she was diagnosed. Life is short don’t take nothing for granted.

baknblack

12 pointer
Jan 30, 2014
Henry County
Lost mom two years ago I was just 34. She had ALS and only lived 6 months after she was diagnosed. Life is short don’t take nothing for granted.
I lost my dad to ALS in 2002. Hideous disease. Sorry to hear that. My dad lasted about two years from his diagnosis.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I lost my dad to ALS in 2002. Hideous disease. Sorry to hear that. My dad lasted about two years from his diagnosis.
ALS is brutal. A friend of mine from Glasgow lived nearly 30 years with it. If I'm not mistaken, he lived longer after diagnosis than anyone ever. I lost another friend from high school to it. He lasted about 10 months after diagnosis.

Duster

12 pointer
Dec 14, 2001
Up in the woods above Lake Malone
ALS can be rough. I have lost three neighbors over it in the past 5 years or so. Guys that worked all their lives and got to retire than hit with it just a few months later. Sure was hard to watch them go downhill like they did.

TripleGee

12 pointer
Sep 13, 2003
Somerset
My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you who have lost loved ones lately and too soon. I always hate to hear of tragic news around Christmas especially, and the way that adds heartache to the holiday season. May God richly bless all y'all and all of yours.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
Well I can remember being the young buck at deer camp. Doing all the driving, never getting to stand much. There are only 2 folks older than I still alive at camp. I'll be 58 in Feb. The monday after our rifle closed my uncle brought the other elder camp member down to see my farm here in Ky. The elder is 84, my uncle is 77. I can remember them having a few to many adult beverages and out 4 wheeling the Willies all over the place half the night on the farm. Took em for a ride on the Ranger and every turn (at 10 mph) they were grabbing handles holding on like they were gonna get tossed outta the vehicle. Pretty funny. It was good to have em down. I miss those days we had 26 people driving deer. My dad passed in 16, my mom back in 04. All my grandparents have been gone for quite a while. 2 brothers and a sister left. One brother and his wife battling cancer on and off. Rest of us are ok so far.
Just got to see most everyone earlier this week. Gonna see my brother and his wife that are battling cancer in mid Jan.

ojibwa62

12 pointer
Jul 1, 2018
NOTW
I think the worst thing about getting older is seeing friends and family dying. My grand parents are long gone, most of my aunts uncles and some of my cousins are gone. I have not lost many friends yet but its coming.

Latest posts