Getting deer off food plots without spooking them

hunter40502

8 pointer
Mar 5, 2014
Washington County
Hey guys, I've been trying to figure out the best way to hunt my food plots and not spook deer after the hunt. What do you all think of the strategy this guy uses? (go ahead and forward to about 6:00 the mark:

Also, what strategies do you all use?

Thanks for any helpful advice.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Hey guys, I've been trying to figure out the best way to hunt my food plots and not spook deer after the hunt. What do you all think of the strategy this guy uses? (go ahead and forward to about 6:00 the mark:

Also, what strategies do you all use?

Thanks for any helpful advice.
I have my daughter slowly walk up from the house singing. She gets about halfway and they slip away calmly. i climb down and they usually come back out to the plot in 15-20 min

257Wmag

6 pointer
Oct 7, 2015
NC
About the only way I know of is to have somebody drive into the field and bump deer with vehicle, hunter slips out, deer come back once you’re out. Even this will our deer on alert after a few times.

257Wmag

6 pointer
Oct 7, 2015
NC
Never had any luck barking like a dog, howling like a yote or throwing my shooting stick at them. Once it gets dark their bravery increases significantly

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I sit until they are gone. Sometimes I’m stuck in a tree till 11pm in freezing temperatures. I do throw things if I’m in a hurry. Not great options. I have enough scent issues, Im not packing in another heavy scent laden device.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
We don’t have food plots but I always struggle in the evenings. I hate sitting until pitch black dark and yet I know at dusk, I run a risk of scaring everything. In the woods, I try to just slip out quietly when I don’t see anything around even if I’m gone before last light which is no doubt the best time. I guess if I had a plot. I’d try to always position on the woods edge and come down and have an exit through the woods. It’s a sticky area.

littlebear

12 pointer
Aug 21, 2007
the woods
No perfect way to do it really. One day it may work the next day it will not. It does not take long bumping deer off plots to educate them and they will start not showing till after dark. Best thing to do is hunt the trails they use from bedding to feeding. Catch them traveling to and from then come dark you are more likely to slip out without a field full of deer running off. I put several plots in every year and rarely hunt right on them. I put them in for the deer to eat and hold deer in the area not to feel pressured when in them. I have great success doing that. Of course not everyone’s property they hunt are setup for plots to be hunted effectively without ruining the spot quick from pressure.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
No perfect way to do it really. One day it may work the next day it will not. It does not take long bumping deer off plots to educate them and they will start not showing till after dark. Best thing to do is hunt the trails they use from bedding to feeding. Catch them traveling to and from then come dark you are more likely to slip out without a field full of deer running off. I put several plots in every year and rarely hunt right on them. I put them in for the deer to eat and hold deer in the area not to feel pressured when in them. I have great success doing that. Of course not everyone’s property they hunt are setup for plots to be hunted effectively without ruining the spot quick from pressure.

Yep. Ive had a ladder stand get over hunted before. I set up off the field edge and the deer that moved into the field were periodically checking that stand. Well educated all right!!