German Johnson Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Ataulbe1, May 21, 2020.

1. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Who all's grown these before? I picked up 4 plants for the garden and they have me second guessing what the heck I planted!

Do they have broad leaves for a tomato plant? They're up about 5 inches and look more like a bell pepper plant than a tomato plant!

2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    There's 2 strains of German Johnson. One has tater leaves and the other has regular leaves. The fruit and productivity is basically identical between the two, and they are one of the better heirloom pinks for smoother fruit shape and productivity.

Carl, bondhu, Munson and 3 others like this.
  3. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    That is good to hear! I'd seen you recommend them and grabbed them quick when I came across a few.

barney likes this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    If the plants you got perform well and have good flavor save a few seeds for another year. If they don't, try again another year from a different place. These heirlooms and sources can vary greatly as I have learned. When I started collecting in the 80's, everything I received was pure and true. When the masses started collecting heirlooms and producing seed from them it went to hell for the most part with a lot of crossed and off types within a seed sample. When I get a good one I put some seeds back.

Here's a thread on the German Johnson variety over on tomatoville. It gets pretty intense between collectors of these old varieties pretty often.
    http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=17550

Munson, Ataulbe1 and Dark Cloud like this.
  5. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    That was my intent, hopefully have some healthy plants with good fruit and have plenty of seeds to plant next year. First time getting in to heirlooms so I'm anxious to see how they turn out.

I picked these up from a small, local greenhouse and they're the only place I've bought from for 5 years. Good people and had great luck with everything from apple and pear trees, to tomato and pepper plants. If they don't have it, I grow it from seed from my uncle's feed store. Same as our meat, I like to know where my plants are coming from.

bondhu, Munson, drakeshooter and 2 others like this.
  6. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    A good German Johnson makes a mighty fine slicing tomato. I’ve gone away from heirlooms more every year due to the reasons Barney spoke of and their finicky nature on a large scale. I’m hoping add some hoop-houses over winter that may change that. I do have 2 flats of mr. stripey in the greenhouse for round 3 of planting.

drakeshooter and barney like this.
  7. I grew a few last year and they’re very similar to pink brandywine but produces much better. You should be pleased.

8. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    I love em because they usually overlap a bologna sammich and taste as good as any to me. Lol those tater leaves will make ya scratch your head the first time you see em.

Ataulbe1 and jblack1 like this.
  9. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Anyone think we'll be replanting after all this rain? Our garden is on a bit of a slope and drains well so im hoping for a decent sprout.
    Friend of mine is already hauling produce from down south and can't keep it on the table quick enough! Kinda funny how ppl are treating it as a drive thru instead of inspecting every mater in the basket and bitchin about a bruised one lol.

Winchester94 and barney like this.