german foxtail millet for doves

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by perrymax, Jun 6, 2002.

1. perrymax

perrymax 10 pointer

Jun 6, 2002
    Bullitt Co, Ky.
    Has anyone ever planted german foxtail millet in their dove field?I planted the "golden"variety.What did it look like when mature?Did the doves like it?I gave up on sunflowers.The deer ate them all.

2. gates

gates 6 pointer

Jan 8, 2002
    Morgantown, KY, USA.
    German millet is a forage millet. It will attract doves when it matures and seed head drops. Browntop and Proso millet are seed producing varieties that produce more stem and seed than German. German produces more leaves. To have a good plot on german you will need to burn off the excess forage or rake and roll it to get the seed out and open up some bare dirt for the doves. German millet is mainly used to produce summer hay for feeding cattle. The other two are used to produce seed. German can grow as high a 4'+ on good fertile soil and has a smaller seed head that lookes like a foxes tail. Alot of the best fields here are on german millet fields just after they take hay.

James

3. perrymax

perrymax 10 pointer

Jun 6, 2002
    Bullitt Co, Ky.
    Thanks for the info Gates.I only plant 1 acre every year and the deer are a real problem.What do you think I should do next year?

4. gates

gates 6 pointer

Jan 8, 2002
    Morgantown, KY, USA.
    If you want a plot for doves find some brown top or dove proso. I had to order mine at 22$/50# bag from a place in Georgia. Shipping is about 10$ a bag so if you can find it local or have you ag shop order it for less than 32$/50# it would be best. My local ag dist saidhe would order some for me but he forgot. Brown top's whole seed head matures in about 65 days. Dove proso starts dropping seeds in about 75 days and keeps dropping seed until frost. I use a 50/50 mix in my dove fields. I disk a few strips each week and then burn the strips that are left a few at a time. Makes some good hunting, doves seem to love the burnt spots. Then I plant 50#/acre winter wheat in late Sept. and I have one fine deer hunting spot and a cover crop to reduce weeds for the next spring's dove plot planting.

Good hunting,
    James

5. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    It's good to see that someone knows what their taking about and that will put their name and where their from down. Would like to discuss some plantings with you a little later.